Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

If you were limited to a single rifle/caliber, what would it be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: If you were limited to a single rifle/caliber, what would it be?

I would hate it but my Rem model7 in 7mmSAUM would be good i could shoot 110gr projectiles with a low load around 3000fps for varmints and close range plinking then a good 140-150gr for deer and other medium game then some heavy bonded 175gr projectiles for the larger game up to buffalo i would rather a larger calibre for the big stuff but i could get buy with one for everything it is only the largest animals that i would realy have to place precise shots so they would not try to kill me.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

I don't own a 308 but it would be my choice in a Rem 700 with a 4-16 or 4-14 scope, HS Precision. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2007, 10:59 PM

I would have to say my .25-06 Rem. I built my first one on a Mauser action with a Douglas Varmint barrel and still own 5 of them. They never have failed me and have taken more deer than I can remember. They will take anything from elk on down and do a good job of it. The Serria 117 SPBT GK has always been my goto bullet but when they came out with the 100gr Nosler BT I switched one of my guns to that for coyotes. Shot as flat as my .22-250 and did a better job when it got there.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

AJ,

What a HORRIBLE thought!!! I have to go out and design another wildcat just to get that question out of my head!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For me it would be a 7mm AM.

Would rather give up varmint and small game hunting versitility and retain long range big game performance. Course a 140 gr Ballistic Tip at 3700 fps would not do to bad on yotes!!!

Again, HORRIBLE thought to pose to use!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] One rifle and thats it, not even funny to think about.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Hi Kerby, just wondering what case the 7AM is built on, I ,am having a 276Baer built right now,It is a 284-416. I think if I am right you use the 338 Lapua?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
SPONSOR

I would have to say something in a big 7mm. 7 ultra or 7 AM would be good. That way i have enough bullet and thump to take out anything in north america but i also have high enough BC bullets for ultra long range shooting.

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Although there are more guns in the safe, I feel that I have the ultimate, one gun setup, in my 7mm AM. The 7mm Rem Mag is a pretty good choice but the 7mm AM goes to so many different levels that it's the ultimate. Given the bullets available today it can do it all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bob Smeltzer: The 7mm AM is based on the 338 Lapua case with some APS improvements. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]