Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Idaho wolves - What/who is safe any more???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Idaho wolves - What/who is safe any more???

My wife and I are taking our daughter and pointer to Kelly Creek, ID to camp/fish for the 4th of July. We are going with another family. It looks like there is quite a healty population of wolves in the area. I hope my parents to not find this article before we go. It is right over the hill from the St. Joe River drainage.

Here is the weblink talking about theWOLVES in the area.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Sponsor

Getsmart,

I was a Deputy for 11 years in Clearwater Co. the north fork of the Clearwater was one of the first places in Idaho to receive wolf transplants. Have a good time but be prepared.

Shawn

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

We have quite a few in WI too. I've called in three so far while howling for coyotes. Didn't even have time to get a pic before they were gone.
Are's are also not native to WI and are reducing the deer heard in the norther part of the state along with farm animals.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

ss7mm I'm sorry for your loss. I'm thankfull for your story. It is just a matter of time 'till we relearn what we so quickly forgot (willingly). There is a reason we killed off the wolves in the lower 48. We are also willingly ignoring the same issue that is happening in California with coyotes and mountain lions coming in and killing pets and attacking people. It seems so foolish to reintroduce the wolves back here it has to be part of a bigger scheme. It dawned on me while reading your story that if the elk and deer herds are in danger then they will also be put on a no hunting list. When the big game is not huntable then why would we possibly need big game rifles. Maybe it is a stretch but not much.

Anyway...

A number of weeks ago I started hunting black bear for the year. We put out the cameras and put out the bait. I took my family with me sometimes. Sometimes I went alone. Once Gonehuntingagain went along. I even walked (with much difficulty) in to drop bait with my 3 year old and a new 6 month old yellow lab we just got. I didn't even take a gun. When I went alone I brought either no gun or a .22 rifle to shoot at some certain pests.

Then we got 3 pictures from the camera...

When Gonehuntingagain and I went in to drop bait we had a little more steel on our hips than in trips past. No more kids frollicing in the pines neither, and wolf whistles for the kids and shootin irons for mama and I when we go to Yellow Pine this year.

I hope the bunny huggers get a wolf in their favorite skinny dippin' hole.

Idiots.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Guys....please re-read my original post. There has been some confusion as I only related something I saw on another site, like I stated in the first line or two.

I am sorry for Scott's loss and also feel, like most of you do, that the wolf thing is not something that should have been done. Like I stated, I will be hunting in Idaho this fall and would like to do a favor for Scott if given the chance.

It's pretty evident that people should not take this lightly if spending time in the mountains of Idaho, and probably other states as well. Be careful and safe. Also pack a few extra rounds just in case. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Guys....please re-read my original post. There has been some confusion as I only related something I saw on another site, like I stated in the first line or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, there it is. I didn't really start focusing on the details until about the first few lines of the actual story. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Funny you bring this up. My Ranch is just outside Grangeville on the Nez Perce Reservation (yes I'm like 1/16 - 1/8 Nez Perce)... I was up there this year and the carnage from the Wolves was incredible. I came up to hunt out of Stanely for Deer for a week but did pass by the ranch to see how things looked... Whitetails were on the come back but wolves like in Stanely were EVERYWHERE, once the moon came out you could hear them howling like crazy on the ranch, not more then 200 yards from the house. It was pretty intense because I know where they were hiding and I was no more then 20 yards away from them during the daytime when I was walking around from the thick brush they were laying in.. Stanely seemed to be just as bad once I got back to california I read up that they had killed ~4 elk the week I was there for fun and left them laying dead... not even chunks taken out of them. I hear they're going to open a hunting season for this this upcoming year? The wolves were origionally set out on Nez Perce land up there, but it seems they have spread like a wild fire throughout Idaho.. even going into Oregon, washington, and other bordering states now right?