Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I wish I lived out west.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I wish I lived out west.

You have to do some trips along the journey of life, or as you say you feel like you have missed it.I HAD BIG IDEAS a few years ago and as a builder the economy for me is zero, mortage until Im 76 at current rate. But my son and I NEVER miss and opening day, bow or rifle,and go Every weekend, I make the most of MT, and some ID TOO
Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Colorado Springs

NRA Life Member
Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Great thread. I am going to be done with school in a little over 2 years and then i will be relocating to wherever i want and can study. But first there will be a 3month hunting trip, ofcourse . I have been thinking about Texas, a lot of exotics, antelope, big whitetail, hogs (one of my favorite critters to hunt), even some elk. Not to mention several good technical universities.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Well, I've lived in CA, VA, IA and NE. Unless you count shipboard life in the Navy. I settled down in SD and I love it here. I do like a lot of other places. Most states out west have some pretty great stuff. Buuuuut, like was mentioned already, the economy is in the toilet. You'll never get rich in law enforcement but I get a lot of chances to meet the ranchers and scout for hunting spots. Out where I'm at there are lots of prairie dogs, coyotes, deer, antelope (bad winter for antegoats game and fish predicting over 90% winter kill) turkey, ducks, geese pheasants (lots) grouse and the fishing is actually pretty darn good. Cost of living is down and housing is pretty cheap. So, finding an income is about the only thing. I buy state and rez licenses and can hunt anywhere I want just about. Oh, also gun laws are good and easy to get concealed carry license here.

Good luck
Tom
The date is wrong on this pic, it was taken in late October 2009.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

I do not know your circumstances and i understand not everyone has the opportunity to do it this way,but here is my take on whats been discussed. I was in your exact position about 10 years ago, and always figured I would live in northern idaho or montana. I had a friend going to college in butte, and we spent alot of time over the 4 yrs he was there fishing and scouting with him and his born an bread montana room mate. I fell in love, but everyone kept telling me i'd better bring my money with me, because its tough to make it there. I will try to keep this as short as possible, but basically one day we had a guest speaker come and talk to us about career transition. (It was some business class, not sure which one). He said that the average person changes carreers (not jobs) something like 5 times. he believed the reason was that people get the best jobs they can and then try to live the life they want around that. He believed the best way was to imagine the life you want to live, where you want to live it, and then get the job that allows you do it. again this doesnt always work out and depending on your circumstances, a person may not have the opportunity to make that happen. But this really hit home to me, so I did alot of research on what type of succesful carerrs a person can have in places like idaho and montana. I picked one, and then got the education needed to pursue that career. I am not preaching, i am only saying, if you want to live somewhere like idaho or montana, there are some professions that allow you do live there and do well. I wish you luck and hope you get there.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

+1 Lamiglass
Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Regardless of what I said above, I turned down several six figure annual incomes (they all began with a 1) and opted to move back to Idaho at my own expense ($10k). Family of 9 plus Boudreaux the cat. Oldest was a Junior in high school.

Family came up in july, wife picked out a house, I called the owner who said if I offered him, xxxxx he'd take it. I offered xxxxx over the phone. He took it, the rest is history.

The carolina poplars that were sticks are now 50' high. Kids are gone.

I've had 7 distinct careers and 4 to 5 jobs in each career.

Also, when I got here I had no employment. That lasted 3 days.

Thus it can and most probably should be done but not without some outside help, mostly from above.

Desire and commitment seem to be the key.

There are whole towns that went belly up out here but there are those tough ones with the great independent attitude that are still there and will stay. Take a gander at Stanley Idaho. There are some tough salt of the earth folks in that neck of the woods.

The only regret that I have, possibly, was that I turned down a career and good paying job in McCall. That was really dumb but things turned out very well in spite of that decision.

With 7 children raised, a great wife and 14 and a half grandchildren, and still robust enough to trek around the mountains I'd say I done pretty fair......

Also, when ya make a decision the next task is to make that decision right!

Oh, and don't look back....... you'll turn to salt.