Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

i want to hear your opinion. everyone has one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

Re: i want to hear your opinion. everyone has one

i am leaning toward the lieca myself but i do really know the difference between the geovix and the ultraviz. the one friend i have that has one said go with the ulta??? can anyone explain the difference?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Geovids have a range finder. Ultravids do not.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

I have packed Swaro binocs for over 30 yrs and a hunting partner of mine has Leica's. Neither pair in my opinion will give you detail on horns at 500 yds and beyond. Your current pair of Pentax are not bad binocs - yes there are better but a 8 or 10 power binoc can not hold a candle to a spotting scope. That is what they are made for. We pack a light weight spotter wherever we go and when the binocs find them the spotters come into play.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I have packed Swaro binocs for over 30 yrs and a hunting partner of mine has Leica's. Neither pair in my opinion will give you detail on horns at 500 yds and beyond. Your current pair of Pentax are not bad binocs - yes there are better but a 8 or 10 power binoc can not hold a candle to a spotting scope. That is what they are made for. We pack a light weight spotter wherever we go and when the binocs find them the spotters come into play.
Agreed...
Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Keep the binos and get a spotting scope.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with the binos and spotting scope group!

My eyes suck. I do as well and some times better with a my $29.95 Nikon binos which will fail me the first time they are used in the rain, as with the pricey models.

When things get serious for LR shooting, the spotter is immediately available.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

+ 1 for the guys advocating a spotting scope. I glass with either a pair of 10X32 or 10X42 swaro's, but I would give up my swaro's and go with a cheaper bino before I would give up my Zeiss spotting scope. If you really want to be able to judge that whitetail buck at 800, or decide if that elk bull 2 miles away is really worth the effort to go after you simply need more than most bino's can give. Obviously, if you have the coin, a high end pair of bino's and a good spotting is the way to go. For the way I hunt, if I could have only one, I would chose a good spotting scope and a pair of moderately priced bino's. Thats my opinion, for what it is worth....