Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: I need a all round every situation concealable pistol
Ruger LCR .357 2 7.14%
Springfield XDs 45 ACP 4 14.29%
Glock 32 45 ACP 3 10.71%
Kimber Pro Carry II 13 46.43%
XDM compact 45 ACP 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

I need a good all around pistol! Any Ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I need a good all around pistol! Any Ideas?

2 years ago, I started to carry a Kimber Pro Carry II. I haven't looked back.

No matter what you choose, spend some time looking for a holster you are comfortable with. That time will pay dividends in the long run. The holster needs to:
A) conceal completely
B) allow you reasonable access.
C) Retain the firearm securely and
D) It must be comfortable at all times.

And don't forget a spare mag.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

full frame I like both 1911 and 92 varients, I never shot one but I've heard good things about Rugers SR line. Better hit what you shoot at with those though, sure wouldn't want to have to throw it at anything lol.

Oh! I know! Get a Hipoint
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Might take a look at S&W's M&P line you can get them in about any caliber you want from full size to compact. Very dependable and you can change out the palm swells to fit your hand size.I like my 40s&w, that said my full time carry is an springfield EMP small concealable and most importantly shoots where you point it.
Kyle, ditto for the Smith and Wesson line. Look at their compact 40 line---the pm40 i think. Extremely lightweight, 6 and 7 round magazines, very compact and the 40 is a good cartridge. I am also a 1911 fan but I think that the M & P line is very good. Which ever one you get, get one that you will CARRY. It ain't gonna do any good unless it is on you. I always carry something on me and most of the time it is a 5 shot 22 mag.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
full frame I like both 1911 and 92 varients, I never shot one but I've heard good things about Rugers SR line. Better hit what you shoot at with those though, sure wouldn't want to have to throw it at anything lol.

Oh! I know! Get a Hipoint
Joe, you're killin me! At least with the hipoint, you can always use it for a truck jack..............

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

I love the 1911, but for back woods packing most are pretty heavy.

The LCR in .357 is pretty snappy. I only shot 38s out of the one I had a chance to shoot and has a bark. I'd say it'd be quite snappy with a heavy .357 load. If I was going to do a .357 with your intended purposes I'd get a SP101 in the new 4.2" barrel or if you want it more concealable get the 3". Downside to any of these 357 is you've only got 5 rounds.

As suggested above, my mountain gun is a 9mm in a XDSC . It packs 14 rounds in a small, very shootable package IMO. Throw in the 16rd mag if you want extras. I also easily conceal this when I'm where I feel I need it hidden (rare occasions).

I've also shot a friends SR9C and it was a good shooter. Given the right ammo I'd feel very capable with either of these 9mms.

Oh, Glocks are good, but don't point and feel natural to me FWIW.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

I have a whole gun safe full of pistols, revolvers, semi auto's, you name it. I have hand guns I've never shot, bought them because.....

Interstingly, my favorite carry gun is my Bond Snakslayer, 2 shot 45-410 derringer.

If you need more than 2, you are dead anyways.