Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I just have to vent!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

I just have to vent!

I was excited to see a new hunting channel on DTV. Channel 604 is called MOR - Men's Outdoor Recreation.

I was watching a show call Alan Warren hunting show and these guys were talking about how hunters need to respect each others style of hunting such as bowhunter respecting rifle hunters and such. I'm thinking right on...

Until...

He says some thing like bowhunters have to respect rifle hunters who have to respect primitive weapons hunter, who have to respect high fence hunters.

Then they go into their high fence rant. The guy says he used to manage his heard without a high fence, but he got tired of quality animals going onto his neighbors property and getting shot there. Sorry man, thats part of what makes it hunting!

Then they show a small pen, like a cow pasture, with a bunch of nice bucks. I'm getting pissed off by the second thinking to myself "How can this be hunting". You raise the animal in a pen so clearly it won't be that afraid of humans, then you let it run in a fenced in area and let some nimrod pay thousand of $$$ to shoot it. (Not hunt it, shoot it!)

Then for the ultimate insult, he says he's not in it for the money and that you can never make back selling a hunt what it costs you to raise the animal. Give me a break.

I do agree that he have to respect each others methods of hunting, but shooting a farm raised deer is like shooting a german shepard and calling it a wolf hunt.

The farm near me has some nice black angus. If I want a fake hunt I'd just get one of them.

I believe that these canned hunt guys are a detriment to us and they give the anti hunting people plenty to use against us. It not hunting, and I don't respect it!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I just have to vent!

I agree 100% and if that show stands behind this type of "hunting" then I'd boycot it
Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

I saw that show. The way he tried to BS people by comparing it to a bow hunting vs. rifle thing reminds me of the Clintons.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

I couldn't agree with you more. I believe in all forms of hunting for game management. But if the game is not game and is just alternative livestock, it is in need of no management, and killing it is simply shooting not hunting. Shame on those hosts for calling it hunting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

I'm glad that I don't have any part of that style of so called glorified hunting! I'm also glad that I was not raised that way. What a shame for some of our newer generation that learn this way.

I do my part of deer managment (culling bad genetics & we do hunt with low fences).. The main thing that keeps me coming back year after year is the thrill of the hunt! You never know what's around the next corner/hill or what going to show up that morning while sitting in a deer blind. My friends 88yr old grandma - who has been a big hunter all her life told us to just enjoy the hunt. I've tried to analyze this and what I have come up with is that - she meant for us just to get out in the woods and enjoy what GOD has given to us.... I would have to belive that the guys that raised penned up deer - "that it is all about the $$$$$"... I just know that I will never be a part of that. It's a shame that anyone that hunt's this way misses out on the thrill of the hunt.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Silver Member

spino i wish tx would do something about all the high fencing make it for exotics only and if a person high fences a ranch the state should remove the native deer then if they want to buy domistic deer to stock they can
Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

IMO, high fence CAN be hunting, it depends on the acreage.

If you have a "PEN" that encompasses 5 or more square miles, or at least 2500 acres in ONE pen then I don't see any real problem. I must admit that I hunt in the East, so 2500 acres has woods and hills and rarely is there an open area that would even allow a 1,000 yard shot. Most shots are under 250yds and actually the mean would probably be 25 yards.
If you are talking about a wide open area then perhaps 10,000 acres might be considered the low side.

Just my opinion.

edge.