Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I hate copper fouling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:32 AM
I'm new to the board,,,and been dying ta get my feet wet!!!! So,,,,,,here's my .0002% of a C-note worth!!!!!! Being a BR shooter I have had some barrels clean up good and some not so good!!! Yep,,,,that "feel" with the cleaning rod told me,,,,,,and the Bore Scope showed me!!!!! I have tried most cleaners,,,,even tooth paste (hehe),,,,and what works for me on "stubborn barrels" is this!!!!! Mothers Aluminum Polish!!!! Here's how I skin the cat:
3 wet patches (Butches & Hoppe 50/50)
1 dry patch
2 patches with MAP light cover (slowly stroking 8 to 10")
4 dry patches
3 wet patches
8 strokes up and back wire brush (slowly)
3 wet patches (Butches & Hoppe)
1 dry patch
1 dry chamber patch
Doing this won't make a "stubborn barrel" a screamer,,,,,,!!!!! I have found that it'll shoot better after 10 or 15 rounds!!!!! An easy cleaner will shoot best after one round!!!!!!! Yep,,,,lap that barrel before the smith chucks it up!!!!!!!!

Unread 01-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Bronze Member

Well, I hate to say it but try some mollied bullets. I just recieved a used Rem 5R MilSpec 308 that was fed a steady diet of 175 SMK mollied and with just a few patches and a nylon borebrush the bbl showed absolutely NO copper at all. Borescope revealed 100 percent clean. Never believed in molly but if the bbl is going to stay this copper free with it's use, I may well change my mind.
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member
Hey gutter, I am no expert by any means, but if went through the process u described and didn't see and remarkable change after 3-3shot groups than I would be upset. If the easy cleaners shoot better after 1 shot then count me in. Are you lapping the bore with the MAP? If so why not use a product like flitz or even a really fine lapping compound. I have firelapped a bore before with i think 600 grit lapping compound and it worked really well and after cleaning, results were instant.

I asked a while back if anyone had tried a product called ultra bore coat and didn't have any success. I herd this was supossed to work great. From what i understood it was like a ceramic coating for the inside of you barrel. Pretty pricy stuff though.
Unread 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Silver Member
I had similar issues with a Savage .308. I cleaned the barrel with GM's Top Engine Cleaner, patched it dry, applied Wipe Out Accelerator, and then 2 12hr soaks with WO. I then dried it, ran some Kroil down the barrel and short stroked it with JB Bore Paste. I cleaned the JB out, and from that point on I have used Danzac coated bullets and have shot this rifle at Bodines firing as many as 70 rounds in a session without any copper issues at all.

Frank D
"A tie is as good as a loss, and no one remembers second place."

Last edited by demarpaint; 01-18-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Try KG-12 from KG industries. I won't harm your barrel and it does wonders. Google it for an amazing test that is unbelievable
Unread 07-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member
Another vote for Wipe Out Accelerator and then foam. 3 wet patches or until clean with Accelerator then fill her up with foam. Soak overnight and two dry patched to push out the blue ink. You can repeat to test for copper but doubt you will get anymore. I had a Really neglected Ruger 25-06AI barrel that shoots nothing but 75 grain V-Max's at 3850 and we get that thing branding iron hot all the time. It sometimes takes 3 overnighters to come clean. The third one never gets anymore so 2 soaks is all it really gets. I quit using brushes years ago. Actual labor with the cleaning rod is about 3 minutes. WipeOut does all the work.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Unread 07-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Silver Member
Two buddies and I tried Warthog on our recent Wyoming PD hunt.

Wipeout with Accelerator was my favorite, but Warthog is just as good, but faster and less messy.

...and no, I have no connection with the Warthog company. :mad: