Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I fouled up BIGTIME! Please read!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: I fouled up BIGTIME! Please read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
If you don't know maybe you should review the safety rules yourself.
Quit being a smart@ss and inform us idiots WHAT rule he broke. You're about as helpful and usefull as ----- on a boar.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

In 1972 when I was just back from RVN I decided to cobble together a subsonic load for a 7mm Wby to use to shoot turkeys. I had a Lyman manual which gave reduced loads but decided to reduce it lower than their lowest recommended load. I locked up the bolt twice and had to use a hammer to get it to lift. As others have said reduced loads are dangerous for a couple of reasons of which one is detonation and the other is double charging.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quit being a smart@ss and inform us idiots WHAT rule he broke. You're about as helpful and usefull as ----- on a boar.
Quit being lazy and check things out.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Quit being lazy and check things out.
So you are absolutely positive that an undercharge caused this even after he stated he used "very low book on the sources he had", multiple shots were fired before "all hell broke loose" with no pressure signs or indications - Hmm

Guess if I was on a jury and you were the prosecuting attorney I would want some further evidence.

Nice try though - I'm going to back otta here now and let others try to help this gentleman try and figure out what else could possible occurred that may shine a different light on the subject.

Buffalowhatever: this is not between you and I and I refuse to argue with you as my grandfather always said "never argue with an idiot, they will lower you to their standards and then beat you with experience"

I'm gone.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Back in 2002, I had a detonation in my 30/06 using 2400 powder.
The result was a expanded chamber- 12 thou expansion.
Was shooting 180 gr. hand cast lead bullets. Had been shooting this load for years. I always double check the load before I use a filler and seat a bullet.
The bolt had to be hammered opened and a brass rod was used to remove the cartridge case.
The gun smith was sure that it was detonation an not a double charge.
I was by my self when this happened.
Had to have the face of the bolt repaired and a new barrel installed on the rifle.
The receiver was not damaged, like the gun smith said, it's a Ruger and it would take more than 12 thou. to damage the receiver.
So to this day I have not used IMR 2400 powder in any reduced loads for the 30/06!!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry that all that happened. Sorry for the kid mostly as he was the one that was subject to it but sorry for you that you have to think about it.

Just throwing some advice out to you. When dealing with anyone that is shooting your gun with your loads, always make a checklist for yourself to help insure their safety (especially if its a child). Take that checklist with you and go through it right before he is going to shoot. Shooting glasses, ear muffs and all of the other firearms safety rules should all be included.

Another piece of advice, the kid is 10 and hasn't shot very much if at all. Get a .22 and let him pop cans at first and then move up to a 22-250 and so on. Reduced loads are pretty worthless in my book and a lot of things can go wrong with them.

Again, hope things go better. No need to keep beating yourself up about it but move on and learn from what happened.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Regardless of the cause of the accident ,I will be better,don't be discouraged.Thanks For Sharing