Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I fouled up BIGTIME! Please read!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I fouled up BIGTIME! Please read!

I'm really glad the boy, and any bystanders are ok considering the damage described to to rifle. It's quite possible that the mishap was a result of a high pressure condition caused by an undercharge of powder. Years ago I was heavily into shooting the the old double barrel express rifles, mine being a 500-450 H&H. These rifles were originally designed to shoot with the old Cordite stick powder of the day. The modern alternative was to use powders like IMR 3031 with the big 500 grain Woodlieghs and such to try to duplicate velocity and ballistics to match the regulated double barrels. The cases had very large capacity that modern smokeless powders would rarely fill and a large air space would remain. I saw and heard about more than a few rifles that had delayed ignition problems, and the occasional blown chamber. It appeared to be dependent upon how the powder was situated on the case when the rifle was fired. Sometimes no problem, other times delayed ignition, once in a while a blown up rifle. If the rifle shot OK initially, you could be deceived into thinking you were OK. It was very important that any excess air space above the powder in the case be taken up with filler to avoid this effect. The most common material was Kapok, a fiber material seen in pillows etc. Ever since, I have always been very cautious about any undercharge, or load that leaves a large portion of the case unfilled presenting the possibility of a secondary explosion. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, as I speak with more folks I'm hearing there are more low charge incidents than I
was aware of. A friend relates they saw more under load issues come through the shop than over load.

Last edited by HARPERC; 10-25-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: sentence delete
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

You did not follow the common rules of safety with another persons child.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Thats why I'm here Buffalobob, sincerely please point out my shortcomings as they may be ones I've missed. Guilty as charged and not trying to diminish my culpability. I wake up thinking about it and fall asleep thinking about it.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
And what rule/rules did he not follow? Chit happens and I don't think he can show any more remorse, concern, or ask for help anymore than he has in trying to learn/figure out what happened so it is not repeated.

SO WHAT RULES DID HE NOT FOLLOW keyboard critic????
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

HARPERC: Your response to Buffalowhatever was posted as I was typing and fuming at the same time.

My heart goes out to you and I can only imagine what this has put you through. I wish it was an easy answer but truth be known you will never know for 100% absolute certainty. It sure points to a low or delayed ignition problem but could always be something else.

I had a professor in college that was my advisor as well as dept head and he was a professional consultant on varius types of incidents. He used to bring in some of his past cases and present them to us unexperienced to be mechanical engineers and we would divide into 3 person groups and figure out what we thought happened, why they happened and then one of the group would present our results. The one common result I came away with from these exercises was never ever solve something by looking at it and saying this is what caused it because of this. His approach was to list every and anything, then start by process of eliminations. In the end it was amazing - you usually found out it was a cause that you initially had not considered.

And YES - over 2 years of this there were multiple firearms incidents.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
SO WHAT RULES DID HE NOT FOLLOW keyboard critic
If you don't know maybe you should review the safety rules yourself.