Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippe

Screech,

Thanks, I was looking at the NPR-2 and Kirby said he liked that reticle as well as the NPR-1 and MLR. I hadn't seen the MLR, so I looked on the website and it has a complete vertical crosshair (as opposed to the NPR-2 which only goes halfway up above the center). I do however like the heavy line every 5 marks on the NPR-2. I wish they combined them. For my shooting, Mostly longer than 800 yards, but always a chance at a much closer shot. I figured I could have 5 more MOA of hold under with the MLR if I had a close shot.

Thanks,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
This one here.

I've been able to get my 1k groups down to 4-6" and I'm really happy about it.

I also have a Win model 70 in .264 Win Mag, Rem 700 in 300 WM, 17 Rem, and a handful of misc others. But I enjoy shooting the RUM so much it gets all of my attention. My .264 is in second place (and its pissed).

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice. I only have the 7mm Rem Mag as a LRR. Its on its second barrel and I've been shooting this action for 27 years. It has a Kevlar stock and a 3x14 Leupold cxIII. The best I've done with the new barrel is a 5 shot group at 200yards of exactly 5/8" CTC. I'm not normally that good, but THAT DAY, I was very good.

I have an Encore pistol that I play with a bit, it has a 7-08 barrel which I never use. I have a .357max barrel that I use for deer hunting down here (only straight wall pistol or shotgun/muzzleloaders are allowed). I can break clay pigeons at 200yds all day with that pistol. Its funny to see weekend warriors trying to hit the 12" gong at 200yds with their 30-06's and I start hitting much smaller targets with the pistol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I have some other stuff as well, .243, 7-08 rifle etc. but they pretty much just gather dust.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-21-2006, 02:15 PM
SPONSOR

Re: I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

Give me or Bill Bailey a call at 1-800-522-3314, ask for steve or bj. We stock quite a few of the NF scopes so we can probably help you.

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

HEY GUYS I'M IN MIDLAND. Tod <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
HEY GUYS I'M IN MIDLAND. Tod <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Howdy, We'll all have to get together this winter and burn a little powder. Midland is only a bit more than an hour from me. I'm in Lapeer.

Don

Old 12-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Give me or Bill Bailey a call at 1-800-522-3314, ask for steve or bj. We stock quite a few of the NF scopes so we can probably help you.

take it easy
steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent ya an email.

Thanks,
Don

Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

AJ,

Others have mentioned the 5.5-22X. I would like to second the suggestion. I have two of them one a 56mm and the other a 50mm, both have the MLR reticle which I like.

With a 20+ pound rifle you are not going to be looking for those up close and personal snap shots. I don't think the 5.5X on the low end will handicap you at all over the 3.5X, but the 22X over the 15X could be definate plus in many long range situations.

I have taken over a dozen critters with my NF scopes at ranges from 80 to 700 yards. I can only think of two shots that were not made with the scope at full magnification.

I agree you can get too much magnification in some situations, and that mirage or decreased light transmission can be factor at high power. However, in my experience 22X has not presented those problems to me very often.