Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

I've been seriously considering a specialized long range setup for nearly 2 years. I've tried countless ways to convince myself "why I should do it". I finally answered my own question a couple weeks ago with "Because I want to!". Well Santa dropped off a Swaro 8x30 rangefinder this morning. And since we are spending the next week or so out in Colorado (we'll be driving as soon as we get a 22hour opening in the storms), and I'll be ranging all my favorite glassing spots while I'm there.

I've pretty much settled on a .338AM in a 22-24lb single shot rifle. Kirby and I have been playing phone tag to put the final touches on the component list, but it will look something like this.

BAT 10" Action w/40MOA base
33" barrel + brake (finished length 35"-36")
A5 stock
Nightforce NXS 3.5x15 50mm with MLR reticle

Question for the forum. Where is the best place to order the scope?

Just wanted to let everyone know that after fighting the urge for 2 years, it finally got me. This reminds me of one of my favorite Star Trek quotes "Resistance is Futile, you WILL be assimilated."

Merry Christmas to all.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippee

I got mine from Long Range Supply, great people to deal with.

I'm sure Bill or Lerch will chime in soon, they also sell them.

You might as well start putting a second list of components together because once you finish the first one you'll want another one.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I finally bit the bullet. Here I go down a slippery slope. Yippe

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna get the scope and slap it on my old trustworthy 7mm. Figure I can shoot a few hundred rounds this winter getting used to the reticle, then when the big'n is finished, I can either order a second scope (shhh, don't tell my wife), or send it to Kirby for setup.

Thanks again,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

MagMan, I just noticed you're in Michigan as well. Where in Northern Michigan are you located? I'm just east of Flint, not north but not far I'm sure.

Thanks,
Don

Old 12-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

good luck trying to get to colorado. im stuck in denver right now. there is 2-3 FEET of snow everywhere in the city and still snowing. every roada in and out of here is closed as well as the air port. good luck with your up coming project. huntinfool18
Old 12-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
good luck trying to get to colorado. im stuck in denver right now. there is 2-3 FEET of snow everywhere in the city and still snowing. every roada in and out of here is closed as well as the air port. good luck with your up coming project. huntinfool18

[/ QUOTE ]

We are going to leave around 11pm Friday night, that should put us into Denver Saturday evening. By then, the roads will be clear and It'll be an easy drive home (western slope) for Christmas.

Good luck getting home, I wouldn't want to be on the road before Friday afternoon, thats for sure. I talked to my dad in Colorado and it was a pretty strong storm (not the worst ever, but a bad one just the same).

Don

Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

I let Kirby order the scope and mount it. That way I knew everything fit together correctly.

I am not sure why you wanat a 40MOA base with a low power scope and a high power barrel. I think I would move up one notch to about 20- 24X or so top end on the scope.