Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hunting Stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 08:04 AM
PUBLISHER

Hunting Stories

Post your stories on this thread, please.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hunting Stories

It was a beautiful sunny day during late muzzle loader season and I thought Id get a little quiet time in and hunt in the warm sun. Id been hunting the same patch of public ground for several years and knew the spots the other hunters avoided as too far from the parking areas. These are the places I enjoy hunting because for a little while even in the crowded eastern states I can wander about with little chance of seeing another hunter. On this particular day Id elected to hunt the edge of the oak woods and harvested corn fields. I could see deep into the woods as I scanned ahead hoping to catch a deer sneaking out to get a few morsels before the cold evening. Id been out about 3 hours and had seen some small does as they sky lined themselves but I was beginning to wonder if Id opted for the correct hunting technique. The edge of the woods was quite irregular with frequent corners and switchbacks forcing me to carefully watch to the front and rear. As I came to the familiar ancient stone marker long ago set in place to mark the county line I stopped and watched ever so carefully for many minutes. This little marker not only seemed to draw history buffs intent on their charcoal rubbings but also deer seeking a quick escape route to a nearby sanctuary. Surprised at the lack of moving deer I proceeded to follow the edge of the field, slowly crept thought the fallen leaves at the wooded fence line and turned the ninety degree corner to once again follow the new field edge. A small wooded finger jutted into the field just ahead of me on the right and it always presented a difficult stalk. The finger protruded into the field just at the edge of a small depression. Id seen many deer stand in this finger and watch for danger as anything approaching from the upper side was sky lined and those approaching from the bottom were easily visible from the elevated vantage point. There were many downed trees, only the trunks remained as the limbs had long ago rotten or broke off. Slowly I approached the finger from the upper edge, careful steps, walk one - listen ten as my father had taught me many years ago. A tedious stalk as any deer in that finger had a great advantage but I needed to get past this area to continue the hunt and I didnt want to spook deer from here into the other areas ahead. Walk one listen ten, over and over Id take a step and scan ahead. I was very near half way down the near side of the finger when it happened, a loud crash to my left rear. I turned, swinging the 50 caliber Hawken from the carry to the ready, my ears trying to pinpoint the sound of the deer breaking cover from behind. There he was, no more then 50 yards into the woods leaping high to clear the fallen logs, majestic, dreamlike slow motion leaps. For a short while I was completely mesmerized by the sight of his huge polished antlers and shining reddish coat as he slowly leapt the logs quartering away from me. I thought to myself you cant miss this one, hes not a deer to let get away! The Hawken swung to follow as I took careful aim and fired. It was done, the shot was over and all I recall a feeling of dread as I scanned the scene through the clearing smoke, wheres the buck, I cant see the buck. I drew my Old Army 44 black powder revolver and headed into the woods hoping that I could somehow recover and get the deer. Torn between the urge to run and the need to slowly proceed and not spook it further I clambered over the logs toward the spot Id seen him last. Revolver at the ready in case I needed another shot if he was wounded and trying to get away. I listened and watched ahead but saw nothing, no buck, no sounds, on I went, over a log, looking, listening In the span of what seemed like a few seconds Id crossed the yardage not bothering to reload the Hawken. There just ahead I could see an antler on the far side of a log, relief swept over me. With great excitement I circled the log to get my buck but as I got a good look at him I thought something looked amiss as his head lay in an awkward position. Sure enough, his fall had broken his left antler loose from its pedicle, selfishly I felt cheated. I sat down on the last log he ever jumped and talked to him, first asking why he had cheated me out of the magnificent antlers he carried and later asking what had caused him to drop his antlers so early. I began to think clearer and recalled previous bucks Id seen that had shed their antlers early and knew they had all been in poor physical condition. To check this supposition I went to the now dead buck and firmly pulled on his remaining attached antler, it came off easily. The question now was the cause of this early shedding and I felt compelled to discover the mystery. I rolled him onto his back, his left rear leg was badly swollen, there was an open badly infected wound high on the inner leg. He also had previously been shot two other times, once in the neck and another across the front of his brisket. My shot had entered his left side at the rear of the ribs angling into the chest, a coup-de-grace.

Perhaps the only reason I ever saw him was that he was in such poor shape he noisily bolted to safety, the jumps I saw as graceful, slow motion leaps were but weary jumps over logs he probably wished had been much smaller. I feel a different sort of kinship with this buck, much different that the many others Ive killed, we talked and I ended his apparent misery, Id like to believe hed be grateful. His antlers roughly score 138 with a conservative inside spread of 16 inches.

[ 02-16-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 02-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

The First One.....
It was 4:30 in the morning the first day of the 2002 Deer season here in Pa.I left the house alone to head to one of my favorite Long Range spots.Not knowing at the time it would be a very special day for myself and one of my LR Hunting partners..My Father-In-Law Larry.When I got to the spot I set up the tripods for the gun and glasses.And waited for first light.Larry showed up as it broke dawn.The hill we were watching ranged from 500 to 1250 yards.About 7:30 I caught movement at about the 700 yard mark...I told Larry where they were and he got on them too....7 does worked their way up the steep hollow.Heading for a thicket about half way up the hill.We only had one doe tag and it was way too early in the day to shoot a doe...I watched the does lay down about 750 yards out....I knew they would be there for a while.So we kept glassing the rest of the hill....I found another group of deer at 1050 yards....Four doe and a spike buck....It! was now around 9:00.The sun was up at our back.And the snow covered hill was lit up.....I went back to the spot where the first group of does were laying....They were still there.I watched them for a few minutes.Then I caught a flicker about 25 yards away from them.A little behind and up the hill.What was it???A bird???I watched the spot for 15 more minutes.....Then I saw it again......It was a horn.....A small racked buck laying with his head and neck behind a big dead oak broken off about 20 feet from the ground.With his body behind the broken off part of the tree.I watched him for a few minutes before telling Larry....I got a racked buck......Larry got on him...When he moved his head you could see he was legal....We could'nt see his body so a shot was out of the ?We had to wait..An hour and a half went by....With us taking turns watching the buck.While the other one glassed the rest of the hill.There was deer all over the hill.A few small bucks and does..When it was my turn to w! atch THE buck.I was on him for less than a minute when he jumped to his feet and made a beeline for the does.I followed him into the thicket and lost him..I could see movement.But I could'nt pick him out....He chased the does around in the thickest part of the hill for another half an hour.The does turned and headed out of the thick stuff.I GOT HIM!!!!Standing broadside about 10 feet away from the tree he had been behind the better part of the morning..The clicks were already on the gun.And we got the gun on him.We had a up draft running from 3 to 9 running up the hill....I put two m.o.a. of right wind on the gun.And told Larry to take him....At the roar of the 300 Ultra,a 240gr MatchKing was being sent with bad intentions...As I watched the vapor trail I knew it was good before it got there....At the impact of the bullet the buck folded up where he stood and fell......I looked at Larry and said,He's yours....The recoil of the gun kept him from seeing the shot....I looked back in the glasses.He had'nt moved.The smile on Larrys face was worth all the time spent building the perfect gun...Getting the perfect load.Finding the perfect spot.And doing it with the perfect hunting partner.....I did'nt fire a shot last year...I did'nt need to....It was enough seeing Larry's ..FIRST ONE....................................

[ 02-15-2004: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]
Old 02-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Outstanding!! I was right there next to you guys, reading that story. Its like a 300 yard drive out of the tee box straight up the fairway with your favorite driver. Its those moments, that keep me coming back. Thanks for shareing!!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

Good story Boyd. Someday I gotta get up your way and try that.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,you are always welcome.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

One summer morning I decided to go over to my Mom's farm and see if the hay had been cut. It was early and still cool. I figured if the hay was cut I'd come back that evening and try my luck at catching a ground hog sun bathing. I had no sooner pulled into the field the hay was cut and it was if some one had turned on a light in a roach ridden room. The 4 Ghogs scatterd and down there holes as I parked the truck. NO GUN, nothin to hunt with. Darn. I called a friend of mine and told him what I had just seen and asked if he could come hunt. We got togeather that after noon and headed for the field. We had just set the glasses up when he spotted one at 175 yds. With vidio camera's rooling I set up for the shot and fired. One Ghog down. Not 20 minuits later we saw two Ghogs playing 90 yds away. They poped there heads up for just a second then back down where you couldn't see them in the grass. I asked my hunting buddy if he wanted the shot but he wanted the vidio. So when I got the next oppertunity I took it. When we collected the Ghogs it turned out I had gotten a double at 90 yrds. We got it all on vidio to boot. Whoo Hoo what a day. almost as good as the day in the Vally BUT that's another story. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 02-16-2004: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]