Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

((((hunting for the longe range shooting position))))

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

((((hunting for the longe range shooting position))))

As the title reads I spent today trying to find a Long range hunting set up . Some folks say to shoot at an animal waaaay out it is cheating or whats the sport in that . All I can say is Long Range hunting is really opening up a whole new can of worms so to speak! Not only do we have to spend the time shooting and learning our equipment . We also must build our confidence in the software programs we use but when we have put all of that together there is yet another step to add to the equation and that is we have to set ourselves up in a way that will actually produce game for the Long Range shot opportunity. Some of us have to hunt for a place that will allow this kind of hunting due to our different terrain than that of the western states. The leaves are still on pretty heavy for me so its kind of hard to see what I need too but I'm not giving up
Just wandering if I'm the only one who's haveing a tough time finding the Long Range Honey hole ??
Any Ideas ?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: ((((hunting for the longe range shooting position))))

Google earth can be your friend when looking for a spot. Just keep in mind all the gear that you have to carry into that spot as well! It's not just the heavy gun, but the spotting scope, tripod, range finder.....Ect.

My advice, find the animals first and then search for the shooting spot! Nothing worse than having the perfect vantage point but no game to shoot

Willys46
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

I feel bad for ya, I just have to roll down the road and there is a long range opportunity at every turn How's that for sympathy

I'm actually swinging the other way, I've work so hard and focused to much on that long range shot or hunt that I'm passing up on stuff that I just need to drop the hammer on and quit fussing around. I need to work on hunting normal but with that extra long range edge when I need to pull it out!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I feel bad for ya, I just have to roll down the road and there is a long range opportunity at every turn How's that for sympathy

I'm actually swinging the other way, I've work so hard and focused to much on that long range shot or hunt that I'm passing up on stuff that I just need to drop the hammer on and quit fussing around. I need to work on hunting normal but with that extra long range edge when I need to pull it out!
That's exactly what I do, why I keep the 270win just plain Jane, and limit the range I use to a more modest distance. The reason is because I just get more out of the whole deal up close. I get the whole anticlimactic detached thing when reach way out there, not that watching your quarry fall at distance to the first shot isn't cool as all get out, but knowing you beat all it's defenses and got close enough to hit it with a rock is just fun and more personal for me. Can't make it to easy either way
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

My wife really gets piss off when we go some where and I keep jamming on the brakes and shooting coyotes she cant see.Now she wont ride with me.Longrange, 440yds is close here.