Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

hunter ethics, were have they gone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

Re: hunter ethics, were have they gone?

Things do happen for sure, and happen to the best of us. I mean hell I've made some bad shots, but I always track the animals until I find them or if I don't I rip up my tag. Mike even tho you didn't pull the trigger you were the "guide" and have hunted and taken more animals then most people well take on their entire lifes. You should have stepped up and set the example to the guy you were with that has never hunted before. Like I said it happens, in this case it wasn't taken care of properly.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

All we can hope for is that the new hunter in this case learned a few valuable lessons..main one being its alot easier to be patient & make the first shot count than to get trigger happy and hope for the best. I would've drove that concept home to the newbie time and again leading up to the hunt if I were the guide as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

How is anyone going to control the mind of another hunter when they get excited? Especially a new hunter? He said that he has been working with him at the range and trying to get his nerves to calm down. You can try to talk the new hunter through it while he is shooting but you can't control him. I'm sure Mike was pretty upset in his own mind while the guy was shooting? I mean what are you going to do? Grab the gun from the guy while he is shooting? I am sure a lot of things were going through mikes mind and I am sure that he was about to pull his own hair out. But put yourself in that place. Would you have yanked that gun out of some new guys hands in the heat of the moment? I bet you would have let him keep shooting like mike did.

Huntinfool it's kinda messed up that you get on here bashing mike about his Internet self and his real self. I have talked with mike quite a bit and you know as well as I do that he knows what he is doing in the hunting department. I have also never read one comment where he has been bragging on himself. He post pics of his kills and has a good time talking about them. Not once has he ever got on here saying that he can teach someone to hunt better than anyone on here.

Just try to put yourself in that difficult situation where you have tried to prepare the guy for the hunt by going to the range and coaching him. Then he gets deer fever and starts slapping shots all over. I bet anyone on here would have kept letting the guy shoot while pulling your hair out.

I would have also let the deer have time to die too.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

I find it intriguing how different perspectives of a situation can change a persons feelings & understand if said situation. First post, i'm thinking "that durty bastard", after composing myself & reading the facts......
These are the type of discussions I think we can all benefit from, IF we can keep it civil. It is also THE reason I have what I have in my signature line. Like Mike, I "guide" every year, at least 3 shooters, sometimes 4 or 5 before I get to hunt myself (my choice). People in this position get to see a LOT of different scenarios play out & not all of them are purdy. But it is from this experience that we draw the knowledge to make decisions like Mike's, & I fully agree with his assessment of the situation. If/when my "dudes" make a bad shot, we wait; Why? Because I've spent enough time chasing critters pumped full of adrenaline all over gods creation to know better. Give them time & more often than not they will sicken up & bed giving my "dude" time to calm the heck down & put some meat in the freezer. Maybe i'm lucky, but in the half dozen years or so, I haven't lost an animal that I can remember...

Was this particular scenario perfectly played? Maybe not, then again, show me ANY situation that can't be improved upon in hindsight. With any luck we can all learn a few valuable lessons from this experience.

t

Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Ethics are a big grey area and keeping it civil is the only way to keep this from being deleted. Lets learn something constructive from this!!
Not posting names (even though we had a good idea who it was) was a good start and Mikes steping up to the plate and posting in a civil mannor was a good finish.
I'd like to think I would have hunted somewhere else instead of putting myself in someone elses hunt and that I would have talked to Mike before going after that doe but I was not there so to say they where in the wrong is only 20/20 hindsight IMHO
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

My issue isn't having a new hunter in the field. That's great. It's that they literally track that deer about 5 yards. And gave up on it and clearly left it to rot. Any hunter would have stayed in the field that night and made sure the deer was takin care of instead of assuming that someone finished your job and tagged your deer. You can say I'm bashing mike, I didn't mention any names in my post out of respect for mike . And I have respect for mike for owning up to his mistakes.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

For the record i dont feel i made any mistakes. I wasnt leaving it to rot i was leaving it to bed and die from a bad shot rather than push it further

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad