Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How young are you guys?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How young are you guys?

Currently 41 years old

4 years old: First BB gun.
5 years old: First .22 rifle.
5 years old: Shot first 20 & 12 gauge.
6 years old: Shot first .38 Super & .44 Mag.
5 years old: Started to learn about reloading & helped my Dad reload, of course under his supervision. We reloaded for many different pistol and rifle calibers. We reloaded for 20 & 12 gauge. My brother and I grew up with a Dad that hunted ducks and geese every day of the season. Shot upland game birds practically every day of the season. Deer hunted every year. And the days we were not fishing the rest of the year we were at the skeet and trap range, rifle/pistol range, or at home reloading. Aside from keeping busy all year round doing something related to the shooting sports or fishing, I also maintained a trap line during trapping season. I have trapped and shot many hundreds of beaver, red fox, and coyotes. I had a very large amount of savings in the bank by the time I graduated High School. Easily paid for an Associates and a Bachelors Degree at mid-range universities. Also paid for my private and commercial pilots licenses out of my trapping savings and still had money in the bank.
My father was the best shot gun shooter I have ever seen shoot. He had shot many thousands of ducks and geese in his life. I also have never seen a man that could hit deer, antelope, and coyotes running wide open broadside at ranges out to 4 & 500 yards. He did not miss very often.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:59 AM

Dave,

Welcome to the 1/2 century club [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I hit that mark a couple of years back [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

Well ---------------- 54 , Grandpa started me at about 6 or 7 , helped him reload things way back when also - Herters was real big back then , they according to them were the ONLY place to go for hunting and fishing needs.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

51 is but a couple of months away.

Grew up in a non-hunting family. Learned weapons in the Army, '71-'73. Became a handgun hunter for several years after coming home.

Entered law enforcement in late '70s which introduced me to the art of the rifle. Started hunting/shooting with big bore rifles about that time.

Got into precision rimfire arms in the '90s which led straight to LR hunting/shooting.

And here I are [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

~Holmes
Old 07-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

Your stories are both encouraging, and a little disapointing. Now i know that i still have a long time left in this sport, but also that i have a long way to go to get even half as good as you, because i only started shooting a couple of years ago, and most of you have been shooting from the age of 4-5. Oh will, better go and get practicing.; [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2004, 06:21 PM

No hard feelings, but it's still nice to know that I'm not the oldest. I knew there had to be some age here, given the wisdom that flows throughout this site! Really got a charge out of the busboy statement!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

im 45 if you count the BB gun i was to young to rember it.when i was 8 or 9 i could go hunting for birds and such by myself.i was shooting before that but had my father was there,thanks,keith