Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How wolves do it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Re: How wolves do it!

B E S, Give us real facts, Haven't heard of this. Where, when, etc.? This sounds like a bs story you hear at a bar. Please clarify.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

There were wolves-a-plenty in northern Minnesota when I lived there in the early 70's. Now I hear the wolf population has increased as much as 10X since I lived there. Heard they were sometimes after livestock. Doesn't surprise me; Minnesota has its tree huggers too. If you want a big wild pet, get a black bear, not a wolf.

I ran into a wolf on a deer trail near Roundup, MT, spring of 2010. The wolf was as surprised to see me as I was to see him. They aren't supposed to be around, but they are definitely here. Two wolves were spotted on my brother-in-law's ranch southwest of Ryegate, MT, recently. Local real estate agent spotted three wolves between Roundup and the Snowy Mountains a couple of years back.

Local hunter said there were 1/4 the number of whitetail deer compared to years past. Reckon the wolves are part of the reason. Most whitetails I've seen recently were in a city park in Billings. There are lots of whitetails along Flatwillow Creek in the Little Snowy Mountains (both south and north forks), and if I was a wolf, I would be somewhere around there.

Don't think the wolves have much chance with the mule deer that live out on the prairies. If I was a local wolf in the winter, I'd be after the whitetails in the Snowies, or the mule deer in the Bulls.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL Shot View Post
There were wolves-a-plenty in northern Minnesota when I lived there in the early 70's. Now I hear the wolf population has increased as much as 10X since I lived there.
The introduced wolves breed much faster than native wolves. What is really strange is that when you talk to Canadians about our rapid elk decline and wolf population explosion, they are puzzled about it because theirs are not that big of a problem.
It kinda makes me wonder where in the world USFWS got these wolves from hell that multiply so fast and kill so much game. Are they genetically modified or something?