Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How to tell if you're on/(still on) the public hunting land?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to tell if you're on/(still on) the public hunting land?

In as much as my main business is geospatial services I do the following.

Idaho has a fairly useful database of land use graphics in ESRI shape file format.

I down load those files from the State then extract the important/useful stuff into my hunting folder.

I then use MapInfo (GIS software) to convert to MapInfo compatible files then overlay on aerial images of the area. I then have a set of two year old aerial images with topography and overlayed with land use boundaries. Nifty for doing "office scouting".

I then convert the MapInfo files back to ESRI shape files to load onto the IPaq for use with field software on the Ipaq.

I have the Ipaq w/software both GIS and Exbal and a blue tooth WAAS corrected GPS receiver velcro'd to my almost camo hat or shoulder.

Thus I know precisely where I am when I'm lost.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: How to tell if you're on/(still on) the public hunting land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
In as much as my main business is geospatial services I do the following.

Idaho has a fairly useful database of land use graphics in ESRI shape file format.

I down load those files from the State then extract the important/useful stuff into my hunting folder.

I then use MapInfo (GIS software) to convert to MapInfo compatible files then overlay on aerial images of the area. I then have a set of two year old aerial images with topography and overlayed with land use boundaries. Nifty for doing "office scouting".

I then convert the MapInfo files back to ESRI shape files to load onto the IPaq for use with field software on the Ipaq.

I have the Ipaq w/software both GIS and Exbal and a blue tooth WAAS corrected GPS receiver velcro'd to my almost camo hat or shoulder.

Thus I know precisely where I am when I'm lost.
Did you get all of that Vern?????