Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: How much have you spent as a result of this site?
$0 15 5.98%
$1-$1000 42 16.73%
$1001-$5000 99 39.44%
$5001-$10000 58 23.11%
$10001+ 37 14.74%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

How much has this site cost you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

+1 on the wife. There is no way she can know the true value of it all. I usually try to use the 50% rule. Every cost is cut at least by 50% when having discussions if she finds out about it at all.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

I read a signature line once that stated "My greatest fear is that after my demise my wife will sell my rifles for the price I told her I paid for them" If it is possible your in that same boat and your not feeling well please send me contact info on your misses.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

A shooting buddy and I just had that conversation and he is about 15 years older than I am and has some pretty nice pieces of hardware. I told him that if he passed away I would make sure she was taken care of fairly.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

My wife doesn't even know about the last 3 that I bought(I hope). And eddybo, I sure am glad I know you and your wife so well.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Dangit, Kevin I guess I would rather see you and Smitty dispose of my worldly possessions than just about anybody else Maybe I should send yall the combination to my safe so none of my babies get injured when yall cut your way in. Of course I would expect yall to keep one gun apiece in the way of compensation for your selfless actions. I would suggest you keep my Nesika .308 and talk smitty into keeping my Nesika 06AI. That way you can laugh everytime the scope gets him.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

I prefer to look at it the other way around.

When I think of what this site cost me, I think of all the mistakes I could have made fumbling around on my own instead of learning from all the experienced guys that post on this site ....
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Got to thinkin',

This site has cost me much more in time than in $. But the time spent is $ and at my age worth much more;)

Time spend: 31 consecutive days in the mountains constantly expecting to the "that" buck or "the" bull with one of the country's better men. I learned more about LRH and LRH equipment, spotting and tenacity than I tho't was possible. I call it tuition.

To make that long range shot the time spent rebuilding/reshaping stocks took some time and learning. More tuition

Developing a bipod concept that "I" could live with is another time consuming education. Cost of an ancient lathe/mill, aluminum, and several cubic feet of chips and the help of others here took a lot of time. More tuition.

Taking pencil drawing class, just me and the girls , so I could draw birds and stuff while lounging in the woods. It turns out the skill developed was very useful in the development of range charts. More tuition.

Tons of time and sandpaper with the touchup sprayer and airbrush, just to make a pleasing functional finish. More tuition.

Why all of this. Just to enjoy life and get the most out of it. Not to mention making that "one" shot when the opportunity arises.

But I learned that I have to make that opportunity arise. More tuition;)