Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How many shoot with silencers??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Silver Member
I ran into a couple of people with them at different ranges. Neither hunted with them and I"m not sure if you can in WI. I checked with a local gw and he stated he didn't think you could but I should check with the atf to see for sure.
Sure would be nice to not have to wear ear muffs.

Unread 12-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
Its actualy pretty amazing how many states allow them and quite a few allow hunting with them especialy "non-Game" animals , but the best bet is to get in touch with sombody with the fish and game department that has access to the written laws because 90% of the time the average warden or clerk will tell you that silencers are strictly forbiden to even own so untill you get with sombody thats willing to look it up for you and fax you a written coppy I'd hold off huntin with one. Is MS where I deer hunt its totaly legal to hunt with them. I'm gonna try to kill a couple deer with one this year if it ever cools off.

I have a friend that bought one of the best cans out right now and it worked great untill he let another guy try it on his gun that wasen't threaded strait and had a bad baffel strike and tore the can up. We disected it and got some good desgine ideas for the baffels.

I have built two for my self (both 223) and have paperwork in for two more and I assisted a frined in building one for his 338 Lapua. His is actualy lighter in weight than my $700 AAC Cyclone for my duty 308 and it is quieter on his 338 than my Cyclone is on my 308 !!! the next one I build will be for my 308 and one more in 30 cal but a bit bigger to handel the volume of guns like the 300RUM and 300Win mag.

Here are some pics of the baffel desgine I use. In the 338 can we used 718 series Inconel for the blast baffel and the second baffel the rest are grade 5 titanium. The tube is grade 5 ti , 10" long 1.5" ID.
here is the blast baffel

this is the second baffle , also 718 Inconel. the titanium baffles are exactly like this one

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member
James, PM sent.
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member
Wow the stuff I learn here. Didnt realize so many had and used silencers. And yeah some county sheriffs can be butt heads, but most I ever run into was really helpful if you were clean. One note of caution.. if you're a railroad employee, as I am , dont be formin no corporations or you'll lose your railroad retirement. You can check this with the RRB in Denver.

NRA Life Member
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Gold Member
I use them. I only have two right now, but there will be more on the way in the near future. I bought AAC, cans and have been impressed.

The only downside to the bigger caliber cans is the weight on the front of the gun, other than that there is only good to say about them.
Unread 12-12-2007, 02:04 AM
I use one on my Tikka 22.250. This rifle with a couple of magazines is just the business on a mob of goats- they seem to have trouble working out which way to run and you can do some real damage before they figure it out.... Great for shooting varmints as well, not needing earmuffs is great.