Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How many shoot with silencers??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

How many shoot with silencers??

I was just wondering how many of our members use silencers on their guns weather it be for hunting or shooting paper?

I have made a few reciently and I have to say that they are adictive , allowing you to shoot a 300 winchester without hearing protection and knocking the recoil down as much as a decient brake all while inproving the accuracy of the gun? whats not to like about that?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Since silencer are prohibited for general use under the Natl Firearms Act of 1934 I dont suppose many here use them. But since they are permitted perhaps some do.

Or is this an ATF Troll under the bridge question??? Did Billary put you up to it?

NRA Life Member
Old 12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Actually, many use silencers on their rifles, some states allow them after you get an ATF approval letter. Your local sherriff has to sign off on it. There is a processing fee, ($200, I believe).

I'm planning on using one on my 6.5 Grendel eventually, but have to go through the process.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
SPONSOR

In OK the process to get a suppressor goes like this. Once you find a dealer and the suppressor you want ( you have to have the serial #'s of the suppressor you wanting to get) the dealer will have the appropriate ATF forms for you. Once you feel out the forms you have to go to the Sheriff of your county and he asks you some questions and then signs off on you, hopefully. A $200 application fee and 2 passport photos are sent in with all of it and a few months later you have your stamp and can legally own your supressor. Or some guys with badges show up at your door and in that case you know what you did and shouldnt be that surprised!!!

I am getting ready to send my stuff in for one, better get one now before the elections.

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

It would be nice to have a compliant local sheriff. I got shot down in a very loud fasion. So to answer your question, I would but can't.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylabs View Post
It would be nice to have a compliant local sheriff. I got shot down in a very loud fasion. So to answer your question, I would but can't.
You can go around the sheriff by forming a corporation or trust. I'm not a lawyer or anything so do your own research but it is done quite often.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

FMI is correct if you have a LLC you can regester it though that and the sherrif doesen't have anything to say about it. I build my own under a form 1 , all thats required is the paperwork and a $200 check then you can make your own.