Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: What is long range?
300-500 119 34.10%
800 yds 166 47.56%
1000 yds 34 9.74%
over 1000 yars 30 8.60%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

How "long" is "long range"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Re: How \"long\" is \"long range\"

Well, around here where I hunt, 200yds is long range. Voted for 300-500

Unread 03-04-2005, 09:02 PM

I want to comment on the 35 yard flintlock comment made by Ian M.

I AGREE!

Bigbore, it is not out of context. it is in perfect context.
This is Long Range Hunting, not long range rifle hunting. Although rifle hunting is implied.

I shot a Doe with an arrow at 46 yards. That is long range hunting.

200 yards with an inline muzzleloader is long range hunting.

I shoot my rifle inside 500 yards at deer. That is my long range.

Rather than give a hard set of rules and numbers for what is long range, I'd rather give it a definition. Len this definition of long range hunting should be on the homepage then maybe we can avoid at least one argumentitive topic.

LONG RANGE HUNTING: Hunting with your weapon of choice at the maximum distances possible for the chosen weapon in given field conditions, while taking into consideration the terminal ballistics needed for a humane kill of the chosen game and the capabilities and limitations of the weapon, the projectile, the shooter's equipment, and of course the shooter himself.
Unread 03-05-2005, 06:55 AM

hey Hunter 308 where are you????

you a troll???

2 freaking post and the same question...

been alot of this crap going around latey....
Unread 04-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

when your telling everyone at work about a shot you made or a group at a certain distance and all say your full of it. Thats long range.
Unread 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;64199
LONG RANGE HUNTING: Hunting with your weapon of choice at the maximum distances possible for the chosen weapon in given field conditions, while taking into consideration the terminal ballistics needed for a humane kill of the chosen game and the capabilities and limitations of the weapon, the projectile, the shooter's equipment, and of course the shooter himself.
That's as good of definition as I've seen.. The important part is "needed for a humane kill".

You can more than double your hunting range if you adapt the concept of collateral damage to your decision to take a shot.

United States Department of Defense definition: collateral damage — Unintentional or incidental injury or damage to persons or objects that would not be lawful military targets in the circumstances ruling at the time. Such damage is not unlawful so long as it is not excessive in
light of the overall military advantage anticipated from the attack. (Joint Publication 3-60)

Once morality is in question not only the probably of a clean kill but the reason to kill at all needs to be considered.
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How "long" is "long range"

For me, long range on a big game animal is anything where the kill zone is less than 2MOA at the distance. I'm shooting a 338 Allen Mag, so for Elk, long range is somewhere around 900yds, deer a little closer etc. Of course, if I where shooting a 30-30, long range would be considerably less.

If I where shooting from an improved position (a bench rest etc.), then long range with the 338 Allen Mag would be more like 1 MOA or 1.5 MOA kill zone. Field position shooting is a completely different game than just shooting paper from a bench.

There are tons of variables that could be used, I like the definition that was given above. I have my own and I'm happy if I am the only one it applies to.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: How "long" is "long range"

There is no answer to this question!!!
Thats why it has been dropped from being answered by most long term posters!
As you can see this post started by a "troll" in 2005

To many varibles. I'll list just a few!!

Caliber
wind
kill zone
humane
bow and arrow
skill level
animal recovery
bullet

Everyone will never agree,

Long range to me has changed several times since being a member! of course it gets longer, but some things never change like kill zone etc.
CAM