Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How to haul deer and elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to haul deer and elk

Bob, you won't be able to use that puppy where we're going! i'm still jealous of your hunting adventure this past fall.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Dave

Can we rent a helicopter?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

BB,

Drill holes in the handles for a pin when you want it extended out! If you havent done it yet load that puppy down and let it bite your finger one time!

Reason I said framed ruck is because you can get them pretty cheap and they are very washable.....Id say you could get 80# a trip. buggies are the best but there are places they can make for a ruff trip. Ill send you a pick with the two hogs I loaded at the same time. Moved em about a mile to the truck.........was very tired!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Live in North Idaho and must say that cart would be not be useful in much of our area. Alright on logging roads and such, but the brush here is just too thick for most cart applications.

The pack subject is interesting. I will not use an external pack after using an quality internal pack. Frame packs don't fit the body and are way uncomfortable.

Look at packs from Kifaru and Mystery Ranch. Get some Kifaru game bags to keep the pack clean, and your set. Those old externals and packboards bite into the shoulders and are not great for positioning weight. Get modernized with a quality pack.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Bob, yes, we can rent a helicopter. you'll have to pay for "most" of it!

if i remember right, the walk to the "spot" is a piece of cake. i was referring to getting the deer out.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

buffalobob,
Don't feel too bad about overloading the cooler on the ground. My buddy and I did that in 2005 when we stuffed an entire boned out cow elk plus ice in a 150 qt cooler on the ground. Luckily we were able to drag it over to a spot where the ground sloped off and we could back the truck up to it. We only had to lift it about a foot but I thought I needed to do the old "turn your head and cough" test after it was loaded! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NRA Life Member