Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

how to get qualified for a world record?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

how to get qualified for a world record?

i was wondering how to get qulified for a world record. do you have to shoot it at a match or can you do it somewhere else with a qualified witness? thans huntinfool18
Old 04-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: how to get qualified for a world record?

It has to be shot at a sanctin match and you have to be a member of that shooting orginization for it to count.

I just went through this at our club. Our first 600 yrd benchrest macth was a NBRSA registered match. they allow people to shoot in the match without being a memeber of NBRSA to get there feet wet.

Here comes the problem, we had a guy shoot a world record for score! He was not a member of NBRSA (He had a IBS memebreship). He petitioned it for quite a while and they accepted it because it was not stated int he rules that if a new shooter shot the record it would not count without membership. But after they accepted it they changed the rule to you are welcome to shoot but no record will count without membership.

Long story to answer your question, no it will not count,

Willys46
Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

thats what i need to do then. thanks for the help.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool18 View Post
i was wondering how to get qulified for a world record. do you have to shoot it at a match or can you do it somewhere else with a qualified witness? thans huntinfool18
If it's a 100, 200, 300, 600, or 1000 yard record, you must follow Willey's post. And after it gets submitted, three guys from the appropriate club's board must measure it and an average is taken and then a verdict is released.

There have been a handful of so called "world records" fired by military, proprietors (lost river ballistics comes to mind) and others at distances in excess of 1000 yards but none really can be substantiated with any degree of reliability. So and so's word doesn't cut it. I think it needs to be done in a match or done on demand with authorities in witness to really be concrete.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.