Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

how do you get a stuck bullet out of the barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: how do you get a stuck bullet out of the barrel

Robbor,

I have done this and it will work depending on how far the bullet is down the bore.

With that said though, I DO NOT recommend it in any way simple because I do not want to pay some Lawyors kids way though law school if ya know what I mean.

Have it removed the correct way, without gunpowder!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
daveosok

Heat your barrel, I suppose next we can use our scopes to pound in tent spikes. Our stocks as boat paddles?

!!!NEVER heat your barrel DO NOT DO THIS at all EVER!!!

Kirby's method is exactly what you should do and is a fine example.

Heat your barrel and you will either anneal or harden that area. After all the processes the barrel manufactures go through to remove stress you think heating it up under non-controlled conditions is going to make it any better?

I cant believe I actually heard someone mention that.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
NEVER heat your barrel DO NOT DO THIS at all EVER!!!

[/ QUOTE ]I knew someone would mention this.

Well, I didn't think someone would heat a barrel that much. A hair drier put on it to make it warm to the touch, but still touchable is enough to increase bore diameter enough to make the bullet go out easier.

Next time I'll use the term 'warm.' 'Course someone will take that out of context, too. Sheesh......
Old 04-06-2006, 12:06 AM
daveosok

Bart

Its sort of like giving load data. I always input that this load worked well in my gun you should lower your load by 10~15% to start. Even though I know many on these boards already know that its the beginner that I am worried about going straight to my load data and injuring themselves or others in the process.

Same goes with giving any information on here you should always consider the beginner as they may read it to mean something that was not intended.

I always consider the worst and try and write it for the best so that all information is givin and nothing is left for chance.

On a 12 inch gear ring for an apu we have to heat it to 400 degrees for 20 minutes in order for it to expand enough to get it over the mating surface. At this temp expands it roughly .025 thou.

When you stated "couple ten thousandths of an inch" a hair drier simply wont expand it that much. It took 400 degrees to expand a 12 inch ring .025 thou. Thats where flame heat or oven heat is needed to expand it .020 or so.

A hair drier at the most will only heat it to 140 or so degrees before the internal saftey cuts the power off.

This is simply not enough to expand the bore more than .0015~.003. This though is enough to allow the bullet to move more freely.

However you friend must have spent a while heating the whole barrel or did he do it in sections and push the bullet in segments as he heated it?

What I envinsioned was someone in their garage firing up the propane torch or acetelene and warming it up.

I wanted to jump on this before anyone got that idea and needed to get a point across very plainly before the aforementioned took place.

Sorry for stepping on your toes I wont do it again.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
However you friend must have spent a while heating the whole barrel or did he do it in sections and push the bullet in segments as he heated it?

Sorry for stepping on your toes I wont do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]You didn't step on my toes. You did bring up a good point about what I said and I corrected it.

Regarding barrel heating, my friend heated. . .er... warmed up all of the barrel, then pushed the bullet out the lightly lubed bore.

I don't know how much the bore enlarged but a demonstration of the same thing was given to me by a machinist. He had a 2-inch long steel bar 3/4ths inch in diameter. Inside was a 1/4th inch diameter steel rod marked "0.250000 in." One couldn't push the rod out of the bar until it was held in your hand for about 10 minutes. That heated up the bar enough so the rod could be pushed out of the ever so slightly enlarged hole in it. I asked how much the bar's hole enlarged and he said about one ten-thousandth of an inch.

After the bar cooled down to ambient temperature the rod could not be pushed into it. The bar had to be warmed up before the rod would go in the hole. The surfaces of the rod and hole in the bar must have been as smooth and perfect as high-end gage blocks.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Gold Member

Just as a redirect, and to avoid some confusion for readers...
we are talking about ten thousandths (.010")
and barts "couple ten thousandths" (.0001) Im assuming he means... 1/10,000

not ten thousandths... but a ten thousandth.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a redirect, and to avoid some confusion for readers...
we are talking about ten thousandths (.010")
and barts "couple ten thousandths" (.0001) Im assuming he means... 1/10,000

not ten thousandths... but a ten thousandth.

[/ QUOTE ]Right you are. Couple of .0001-inch units. I usually hyphenate "ten-thousandths" because that's what means .0001 units. I forgot to do that in an earlier post. Oops; sorry 'bout that. "Ten thousandths" means .010 units.

Thanks, Abinok, for pointing this out.