Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

how do you get a stuck bullet out of the barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

how do you get a stuck bullet out of the barrel

I was just thinking my buddy had a bullet get stuck in his m14 barrel one day. We beat it out with a cleaning rod cause he need the rifle back in action. but if this every happened on a custom rifle how could you get it out with out mess up the crown or barrel.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: how do you get a stuck bullet out of the barrel

Well,

This is what I do for what its worth.Have not done this alot but it worked well when I did.

1. With the muzzle pointed up, Pour a bit of quality penetrating oil down the bore and let it sit for a couple minutes. Not alot, several drops is enough. Then turn the rifle muzzle down and pour a few more drops of oil from the breech end and let sit a couple minutes.

2. Take a quality coated cleaning rod. I always use Dewey rods. Fit the Tip of the rod with the female thread adapter. This is very important. Will explain later. Also choose a cleaning rod that is as large as possible for the bore you are trying to clear.

For instance, if you have a 30 cal bore, do not use a 22 cal cleaning rod. We want as large of a rod as possible because it will reduce rod flap in the bore and increase the stiffness of the rod because the bore will help prevent rod bending.

3. Coat the rod with oil just for added lubrication. With the muzzle up and the rifle secured in this position, slowly feed the cleaning rod into the muzzle and down to where the bullet is stuck. Allow the female thread adapter to center over the nose of the bullet. This will also center the rod in the bore and help prevent bore ware as well as apply even centered pressure on the bullet. Much like a seating stem in a seating die. If you do not use the female thread adapter, you WILL damage the inside of your bore as well as deform the bullet nose making it much more difficult to remove the bullet.

4. Take a medium weight bench mallet, Not heavy, and lightly tap the end of the rod. It may take several taps to get the bullet moving but once it does and gets into the lubricated section of bore it generally slides quite easly with only light taps on the cleaning rod.

The light taps will also help limit rod flexing and bending as well. Watch so that the rod does not contact the muzzle hard when it is struck with the mallet.

I have yet to have a bullet not back out using this method. Very thin jacketed varmint bullets will be the trickiest because they deform so easily. With these go very slow and tap lightly to prevent the bullet from deforming to much.

THis is my method, it has worked so far.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby, what about heating the barrel quite a bit just before tapping that rod against the bullet. That hot barrel will enlarge its bore a couple ten thousandths of an inch. A 'smith I knew years ago had to do this to a .300 Win. Mag. and he said it made the job easy. He also said to always put the rod in from the breech end, if possible, so it will bear against the flat part of the bullet's base and not deform its pointy end. With a very thin film of oil on the bore, the bullet should slide out fairly easy from a hot barrel.

Well, a friend had a bullet stick in his .308 Win. We did exactly what the 'smith said. Piece of (chocolate) cake.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have found no reason to heat the barrel. May work on a hard bullet but I have not needed to yet. I do not like pushing against the base of the bullet, its impossible to keep the pushing tool centered and away from the bore walls this way. Using the method I use keeps the rod off the bore and with the pressure centered evenly around the nose of the bullet there is very little bullet deformation if you take your time.

With Varmint bullets a specially machined brass adapter matching the bullets ogive would be the way I would go but thats easier to do for a gunsmith then a general shooter. I have a shop full of machines to do this work.

Still, I have yet to have any problems with this method and really do not like pushing against the base of a bullet because you can not be sure the pushing tool will stay off the walls of the bore.

I know if its made of brass there would probably not be any damage done but still, why risk it in my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Oops, I forgot to mention the rod used was coated or sleeved all the way to its flat end against the bullet at bore diameter so it wouldn't peen the bore as it moved from being gently hammered. Don't you dare use a bare steel rod!!!!!!

As Kirby says, you gotta be careful doing this and do something to keep the rod's steel end against the bullet from sliding over against the bore walls. It's like skinning a cat; start at either end but be careful.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Stupid question here. I had thought about this before. Couldnt you just take your pliers out and pull the bullet from another round then drop a few grains out and load it(pointing up obviously) and fire it? I would think it should have less pressure because of more volume to the stuck bullet and gettting rid of a few grains would make it safer. This would obviously only be considered if you were absolutely shure ther was only one bullet in the barrel. I do though hate the idea on pulling a trigger on a pipe bomb sitting right in my hands. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Robbor, you asked a good question, not a stupid one.

Without the powder being confined in the case with the bullet, most of it will blow out of the case and not ignite properly. People have tried this with .22 rimfire rifles and it didn't work. My bet is on the same thing happening with a centerfire rifle. Comments from others about this are welcomed.