Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

how do i fix a cracked stock??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Bronze Member

how do i fix a cracked stock??

i just bought a used remington 700 KS fiberglass/graphite stock for my remington 7mm ultra mag. upon further inspection, i noticed a crack forward of the magazine well going toward the recoil lug area, but not quite to the recoil lug. the seller refuses to refund my $$. so i'm stuck with a cracked stock. is it possible to fix the crack? should i use a hacksaw to enlarge the crack, fill it with epoxy and add a reinforcing screw?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: how do i fix a cracked stock??

exs

That crack is in the worst posible spot, as you probably have already figured out. Especially for a hard kicker. If it was mine I would hog out as much material as I could and rebuild the entire area, including the recoil lug, with an epoxy like Steel Bed or some such. A cross screw or bolt would add some strength but could ruin the looks of the stock and may not be needed. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Sorry about the crack and lack of refund. I'm not sure they can be reliably fixed. Where did you get it so I don't do any business with them.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Bronze Member

apparently, after deep thought, the seller decided to give me a refund. i will be ordering a Bell & Carlson medalist tomorrow.