Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How did use get so good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Re: How did use get so good?

+1 on what BuffaloBob said. He is such a sage, and his dedication to his kids is exemplary. My father (rest his soul) did the very thing with me. Started with BB guns, then 22's. Graduated from plilnkin' to squirrels, absolutely no shotguns for squirrels, not sporting as far as he was concerned. Then along came the groundhogs. First with 22's, then up to a .218Bee, then came the .222mag, and then a .257WBY. As the calibers increased, so did the distance. It finally got to the point I carried 2 guns when hunting groundhogs, the 222 and the 257. If we couldn't back up and increase the distance for the 257, I'd use the 222. We hunted where the farmers wanted the pigs SHOT, so we had to show some progress to keep in their good graces. I grew up in WV and we hunted a lot where very long shooting was kind of rare. I did have a couple of places at 600 yds where I kept the whistlepigs thinned out very well. After I moved out West, my distances increased and when I would report back any successes to my Dad, he would marvel at how far I could connect on game animals. If he only could see what some of the folks on this forum can do!! I have done the same with my two kids, young adults now. My son and my daughter both love hunting and both are crack shots. Thanks Dad.

God Bless and good luck