Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How To Clean Mold and Mildew From Inside A Gun Safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM

How To Clean Mold and Mildew From Inside A Gun Safe

Ok, I wasnt sure where to put this, I did a brief search and didnt find anything. So here goes. Bro in law has a gun safe he doesnt use anymore and I am considering trying to buy it from him, but it hasnt been used in a while and it has alot of mold and mildew inside it. Is there any of you guys that know how to clean this thing up and make it useable again or is it a lost cause? Any tips or advice on how to clean it up would be great. Thanks, Steve
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How To Clean Mold and Mildew From Inside A Gun Safe

I'm presuming it's carpeted over MDF for the shelves. You'll have to pull the interior shelves and dividers and pull the carpeting (it's stapled to the MDF and then recarpet the MDF with new. Carpet is cheap and you can custom pick a color and make it your own.....

Far as the body (of the safe) is concerned, other than the front door and lock mechanism, wash it down with Trisodium Phosphate inside (available at home depot type stores) mix according to box directions and wear rubber gloves. That will kill and remove the mold and mildew. If you can pressure wash it inside, just not the door. For the door, wash it by hand and rinse with clean wet rags. Dry the interior after so nothing rusts.....

I went through the same thing with a safe I inhereted that was in a damp basement. It's good as new now and smells much better.......

hope that helps....
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Vinegar does a excellent job of killing mold, bacteria and germs.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

Get a cup of bleach. Put a small box fan in the safe. Close it up as tight as you can (Do this outside), and then let it run for a few days. It will kill all the mold and make it safer to clean.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the good info guys. Sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth. I am thinking I maybe should just bite the bullet and buy a new one. Once again Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Vinegar does a excellent job of killing mold, bacteria and germs.

So does goat urine. Just a different smell. . . Oops - shudda posted this yesterday. . .