Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

How about a ELR forum???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

How about a ELR forum???

Guys, was just thinking here and was interested in what you think as well.

I find that many products, methods and practices that work well for long range shooting and hunting to....... lets say 800 ~ 1000 yards will not work as well or "cut the mustard" at 1200 ~ 2000 yards. So many times a method or product is recommended but a max distance is not mentioned. That item or method may be perfect for a 600 yards shot, but maybe not for the longer poke. So it seems to me that with the growth of the forum it might be time for an ELR ( extreme long range ) forum to discuss what works best for the very long distances. I feel this forum should be designated with a XXX yards and beyond critera of distance. 800 ?? 1000 and beyond???

With the progression of techology, better bullets, more stable powders, scopes , rifles etc. I know some of us are shooting farther than we ever imagined. Thus I feel we could segregate this as a special forum as it could be more intuitive for those who are doing it or have interest.

What do you think?

Also I hope to hear from Shawn Carlock , Kirby and some others here of whether or not this would be a good idea.

If some feel it is a good idea I would then like to ask Len and the mods to set something up for us if they agree.

Jeff ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How about a ELR forum???

I can dig that, I havent shot a whole lot past 1200but I agree its a different bowl of wax. I think we could all learn from each other.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Excellent idea. Do you mean a complete separate website or different section of this website?

There was a website, an off-shoot of this site by some folks that had been regulars here, that was started several years ago that dealt with longer range shooting. I became a member there as well, but now can't remember the website.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Excellent idea. Do you mean a complete separate website or different section of this website?.

I was just thinking a differnt section / forum on this site. The things I do and my methods may not be the best for a guy that only shoots 600 ~ 700 yards. And the same goes for the guys that shoot to 700 giving advice that will not work for me shooting 1500. I just think we need to differentiate some thing with intended distances.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. I'd like to see that on this website for sure. That is where many of us want to be or are and a concentrated sharing of techniques/equipment/expericence/knowledge in that specific area would be excellent IMHO.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Only if I can tune in and listen once in a while!

I usually don't shoot much past 1/2 mile, maybe out to 1000 yards once in a while mostly because I love to hit the back country hard with a pack on my back and a few days of gear. So the really big canyon rifles aren't the best fit for my style. But I sure enjoy reading and learning from the rest of you guys!

Maybe as a compliment to the ELR we can add a forum for regular hunting distances too. Then there won't be so many arguments about shooting just to find out that some of the guys here are talking about 1-300 yard shots!

Ya, that's a recent pet peeve of mine!

Scot E.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Well this is long range hunting. .. so I don't think we need something for the average shooters. There are tons of forums for that. Long range is what sets us apart

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad