Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hog Hunting Handgun Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Re: Hog Hunting Handgun Question

WEll from personal experience with some of the mid sized ones we get on most of the time, the .357 up thru the .44 has handled everything nicely. I have shot a couple using my 10 mm "Javilina", with mixed results. I firmly believe in the heavier bullets for the most part, however I am using the 200gr Remington JHP from my 41 with great results so far. I have seen a couple that I would have hated to tangle with up closer than 5 yds with those bullets though, haven't run across thm in the brush. I do believe that with the control of the Redhawk with those loads, I wouldn't have a problem delivering a stopping shot to the head.

With the .357 I have used the Remington 140 semi jacketed HP the 158gr JHP and the Oregon Trail 158gr FP all with decent one shot results. These were on pigs in the 100 - 150# class however.

In the 44mag, I have loaded for a couple of friends who have taken deer and a couple of hogs, using the 240gr Remington JHP. This bullet has been very accurate and once it hits, it unloads a whollop similar to the Wildcats. A co-worker tried some out on a retired vest his son-n-law had from his police duties. They hung it over a sheet of 3/4" plywood and then backed off 25yds. He said when it hit the vest, it flattened out to over 3/4" in dia, and blew out a 4" hole in the plywood.

For as much as I generally shoot my revolvers, I have found that the Remington bulk bullets do a great job on the critters we chase, and they are cheap enough that you can shoot plenty for practice.

I also have the 454 Ragin Bull, and some 260gr bullets which I haven't had the chance to try out on live game as of yet. Well I had the chance, but in the last minutes of the last remaining light, and black sights on a black hog, I ended up blowing the shot. What can I say, some do get lucky every once in a while.
Mike / Tx

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"

Unread 04-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Why wouldn't this one work for me? Link
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 04-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

It would work fine. Stuff it with a 320gr Penn and Lil'Gun or H110 then practice!! BTW...if you get into a .44M or .45LC shoot me a PM and I'll send you some heavy cast Penn's to try.
Dan B.