Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

History's Sniper show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: History's Sniper show

Here is a link to an article written by a man who served under me in RVN. It gives a description of the skill sets a Special Forces sniper is expected to have. This is a lot different skill set than bench rest shooting or elk hunting.

The article is on page 30.

http://www.soc.mil/swcs/swmag/08May.pdf

This is why I always make fun of the "fair chase" animal hunters. If you want fair chase then hunt people who have guns.

Unread 12-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

There was a story on this website within the last year of a hunter shooting an Elk at long range. If I recall it took 3 shots to bring it down.

I never heard the word LUCK used, and there certainly was very little likelihood of any Elk shooting back!

edge.
Unread 12-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have to say the shots that the Canadians made, were nothing less than amazing.

Anyone that is in the camp that these shots were luck, take the same circumstances and try to make the shot. I could be very wrong but, I'm not sure that any of the peanut gallery here could carry enough ammo to duplicate the shot. Let it be known that I consider myself as one that could not make the shot.

My hat is off to those men, they deserve the acclaim that they get.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Hind sight says that I should have kept my mouth shut. Although I will let my statement stand.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 12-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

The Canadian shot sequence is not nearly as impressive as Hathcocks shot at 2500yds. He called the first shot and dumped the bicycle. When the person got up to fight it made his answer justified and he dumped him with the second shot. That was with a ma duece and a butterfly trigger. The Canadien had a benchrest quality barrel (Lija) trued action of inherent accuracy and some really dumb targets.
The rest of the show was what has been stated by the guys that have been there done that. They used their training and the equipment to adjust to parameters that were beyond realm of training or equipments capability and met the challenges they faced. 1600 meters with a 308 is through the window. Meaning that the bullet went through the sound barrier and stayed on target. The only luck involved was that the bullet was a good one and did not destabilize and come off course. Regardless that rifle was at that time most likely a MOA rifle. Not some .1 smoke stick you see on a bench.
Unread 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBetts View Post
The Canadian shot sequence is not nearly as impressive as Hathcocks shot at 2500yds. He called the first shot and dumped the bicycle. When the person got up to fight it made his answer justified and he dumped him with the second shot. That was with a ma duece and a butterfly trigger. The Canadien had a benchrest quality barrel (Lija) trued action of inherent accuracy and some really dumb targets.
The rest of the show was what has been stated by the guys that have been there done that. They used their training and the equipment to adjust to parameters that were beyond realm of training or equipments capability and met the challenges they faced. 1600 meters with a 308 is through the window. Meaning that the bullet went through the sound barrier and stayed on target. The only luck involved was that the bullet was a good one and did not destabilize and come off course. Regardless that rifle was at that time most likely a MOA rifle. Not some .1 smoke stick you see on a bench.
I'll certainly agree about Hatchcocks shot, although he did have experience on that particular MaDeuce and at that particular distance. They had worked out the ranges from the gun to the various spots where they might make shots.

The fact he did it with a "weapon totally unsuited to the task" to paraphrase Mark Twain, makes it all the more impressive.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Unread 12-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Gold Member

I have the show taped on DVR, can't wait to watch now!