Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Highest theoretical BC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

Highest theoretical BC

I have been thinking, what would be the Highest possible BC? 1.4 somethig like that? It would be neat to make a bullet so ballisticaly efficient that it pulls itself through the air [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Highest theoretical BC

That would be called a self propelled rocket!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

The thing that would he people like me if Richard would
publish the BC on his bullets.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have been thinking, what would be the Highest possible BC? 1.4 somethig like that? It would be neat to make a bullet so ballisticaly efficient that it pulls itself through the air [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no "highest BC"

The BC is just an arbitrary number assigned to a known projectile to use as a base line reference.

There are 8 (as I recall) BC reference projectiles and they are called G-1 through G-8.

Most of them are 2 to 4 pound artillery shells from WW-1 and WW-2.

When you take the BC of 1.00 that references a 2 pound 3" dia shell and apply it to a 2,200 pound, 16" dia, 6 foot long navel artillery shell, you get BC that runs 12.0 to 13.0 (depending on velocity).

LRH member #23
Old 05-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know the smallest diameter that a hollow bullet can be made, but the Flatau design ( ring airfoil )swallows the bow shock-wave and has an incredibly high BC at high velocity. At low velocity the BC drops precipitously.

edge.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know the smallest diameter that a hollow bullet can be made, but the Flatau design ( ring airfoil )swallows the bow shock-wave and has an incredibly high BC at high velocity. At low velocity the BC drops precipitously.

edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flatau's design was a 'theory" that never worked, and after the military spent a fair amount of money on in, dumped it. The problem is that you cannot have a rotating airfoil "with lift".

There were some soft riot control projectiles made, but they had very short range (40 yds), so they didn't do very well... it is now history, along with the perpetual motion machine.

It is physically impossible to "swallow the bow shock-wave", and the energy is lost when it is generated, whether it is "swallowed' on not.

If it were possible, then all supersonic aircraft would adapt this energy (and fuel) saving feature.

LRH member #23