Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

High Shoulder Shot vs Behind the Shoulder Boiler Room Shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

High Shoulder Shot vs Behind the Shoulder Boiler Room Shot

The high shoulder shot drops the animal quicker, from what I've see, but may require more precise bullet placement than the "just behind the shoulder" shot.

I have always trended towards the heart shot and am wondering if I'm just stuck in my habits for if a change should be considered.

Animals would be elk and deer not bear.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: High Shoulder Shot vs Behind the Shoulder Boiler Room Shot

In my experiences in the field, I have always done my best to get, in my minds eye, the optimum shots on game. To me, whether it be deer, hogs, or whatever, I have found that if I could get a shot through, from one of three angles, the animals generaly hit the ground asap. I concentrate on the shot, similar to the way a boxer throws a punch, I strive to visualize the opposite side of my target. This is a crude diagram, but it shows what I am referring to,

It doesn't have to be exactly as shown but in the genral areas, so to speak. This generally at least insures that vital life giving organs are disrupted, and the central nervous system receives a pretty good shock as well.

I have however, seen my dad, put a 150gr Sierra through all three of these directions on the same deer, with no visual indications of a hit at all. The deer was only about 40 yds away and just kept his stride walking across the top of a small hill. After waiting a while, he decided to head to the house figureing his scope "HAD" to be off, he walked over the top of the hill and there laid the deer. Worst part was while dressing it out, he slipped and dang near cut a finger off, which left me to do the cleaning of his messed up deer. I told him that was a little extreme, just to get out of cleaning up a mess like that. Believe me it was a mess.:p

I realize that other game might be tougher or more reselient to shock or trauma than others. Hogs are a great example. If you shoot a hog behind the shoulder, you just about miss all of the lungs and the heart by a decent margin, and generally get mostly paunch. Their heart and lungs are tucked up in the front part of their body and you just about have to aim for the front point of the shoulder to hit it. This is why they seem to be so tough to the shots taken on them. Check out the below link, it shows their internals up close and personal.
Hunters Anatomy of a Hog

Also if your interested in hunting hogs, that is a terrific site for info on various ways to attract and hunt them.

Maybe sometime, someone out west might be able to put something like hat together showing the vitals on an elk, in relation to the exterior hide and such. I know it might help out a few hunters who have never been able to hunt them yet.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 03-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

I have always tried to place my bullet in the shoulder. I saw a couple times how fast the animal dropped when shot in the shoulder, and to me, I love seeing that vs. the animal running off 30-75 yards from a behind the shoulder hit. I have killed probly 75% of my animals by hitting them in the shoulder, and they drop as if the earth has been removed from underneath them, or the hand of zeus came down and slapped there butt down. I just dont like tracking for one. The bullet still goes through the vitals with a shoulder shot as well. Some may say that you ruin some meat in the process, but I"ve got the answer for that. Some meat is better then no meat! Of course everyone says I got an answer for everything, damn kids anyways, haha.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Gold Member

I like a double lung shot, but if its shoot now or never and I'm certain I can thread the needle so to speak, and put the bullet where it needs to be, more often than not I'll try to break the offside shoulder.
The DRT shot is exciting but for me it just makes a bigger mess to clean up at home, with a lung shot they bleed out better and I'd rather leave the blood where I field dress the animal.
the shoulder shot is awesome if your bullet matches your game size but here try a shoulder shot with a well constructed bullet and unless you hit the spine, these lil 120 pound deer still run off, and you have ruined meat.
Change that bullet type to a light for caliber high velocity round and hit the clavicle (shoulder blade) which is the point of most resistance on deer and average bear (150#) and its a different story. expansion starts immediately and is complete before the bullet gets through. it takes about 5-6" of penetration to get to the vitals on our deer so no exit wound doesn't mean the bullet failed.
anyway, the deer absorbs every bit of energy, a massive shockwave runs up the deers centrl nervous system to the brain (I can't verify this but read on the net once that DRT deer tested showed the capilaries in the brain ruptured)while back at the POI the shock of the bullet hitting the bone with the most surface area is pushing the blood backwards through the major blood vessels ( Tell me that won't mess your day up) So the whole system shuts down immediately. This is my take on it, I'll track them 50 yds if needed, besides on a lung shot, they're blowing blood from the nose and mouth after just a few steps so tracking is not a problem.
RR
Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Agree with everything James said except I don't rely on shock. Little whitetail deer dont need their shoulders broke and if a person can't track a deer for a few yards they shouldn't be shooting out of the truck window anyway.

The other point for me is just a matter of habit because so much of my hunting is with a bow I am automatically looking to miss the shoulder by the time gun season rolls around.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Gold Member

don't very often break the shoulder since most of my normal deer hunting is done with a 6mm or 25 wssm, but if you line your horizontal crosshair up with the offside leg on angleing shots it puts you in the "boiler room" so to speak
JS
Old 03-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
since most of my normal deer hunting is done with a 6mm or 25 wssm

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.