Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

High Fence Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Edge,

To be completely honest, I have never witnessed an animal inside a high fence area be spooked, run toward the fence and then stop not knowing what to do because he ran into a fence.

On all the ranches I have hunted, the animals know where the fences are very well, there is usually a cleared road or trail around the fences for the land owners to maintain the fences and be able to drive around the property to check the condition of the fence. The dense cover is not along the fences so this is not where the animals flee to when they are spooked, they head for the heavy stuff, just like an old white tail will in the wild.

You need to realize that the good high fence ranches do not kick game out the day before you arrive, the game lives in these area, often unsupported by humans in any way for years and even generation after generation. These are the best ranches. Those that have self sustained game populations and reproductive herds that live inside the hunting area.

This is not overly practical with elk as they get a bit violent during the rut unless they have ALOT of space so generally you will only see bulls in the hunting areas. Also a 1100 lb bull elk can be hard on a fence if he gets fighting over a cow in heat right there with them. They get violent enough but they do not need a cow to magnify the problem.

When I say they need alot of room, we are talking 10s of thousands of acres to make this possible.

That is not needed with deer so much or sheep as they can have a good reproducing herd that lives on just a square mile or so or more with no problems as all as long as there is enough food, water and cover to support the animals.

I think many have an idea in their head when we talk about high fence hunting ranches. While in some cases your ideas of what they are like may be true, in many others, you are wrong about many things such as the weariness of the game, the ability of the game to elude the hunters and the challange of getting a good game animal.

In most of the larger hunting ranches, there is no difference at all to wild game hunting, other then the quality of the trophies.

I have personally been with hunters that got limited draw permits here in Montana, went to the land owners house. We loaded up in the farm truck, drove out to an alfalfa field in the evening and shot a mature record book class bull elk at 150 yards over the hood of the truck as the herd stood there and watched. I am talking about 200 head of elk in a 500 acre hay field.

After the shot the elk bunched up, ran to the other end of the field a mear 500 to 600 yards away and started eating again and STAYED THERE while we packed the bull up into the back of the truck.

Is this fair chase??? My elk hunt was 50 times harder then that hunt was.

Its all relative. I have also hunted whitetail deer year after year watching a specific deer grow up in one area, one SMALL area. Most whitetail deer will be born, live and die within a 1 square mile for therir entire life, even with hunting pressure on them.

I guess all to their own but the right high fence hunting is not what most think it is.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Bronze Member

Re: High Fence Hunting

ihave have been sitting here for some time reading the comments on the good and bad , about high fences, i live on a high fenceranch thats 11miles wide and 27 miles long , it has a 8' 6' fence around it with 1 high fence pasture of 2500 acres, no other fences, in my case we put up the fence to keep , pouchers illegals,drug runners, out as much as possible , no one mentioned, what happens when you fence your self in. it does create problems with wild life managment , i.e. food , water, cover, we like to quail hunt, ive never seen a fence a quail cant fly over, as for deer, pigs and other critters . ive never seen a high fence they cant go under, ive hunted all over north america, for every thing you can hunt for. and can tell you . the high fence has nothing to do with the quality , of the fair chase, and im not talking hunting in a small pen.all high fences are not the same ,
Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Bronze Member

85K acres or even more....a high fence is a high fence.....no interest from me at all......
Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

If they erected a high fence around the perimeter of your state you would quit hunting? What if the US built a border fence?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

I wish we had a high fence area were I live because everyone wants to shoot little 4 pointers,spikes and then say the reason they did it was because they don't eat the horns they eat meat , then i ask them how many deere they saw and they say oh 3 does and then this itty bitty 4 pointer thats when I say why didn't you shoot the doe I can see were everyone has different opinions on this subject . This may seem off topic but do you eat chicken , or hamburgers ? around here we have several chicken farmers they put up thousands, feed them out so you and I can walk right into the local market and buy chicken (I love chicken) I didn't hunt for it though .I still eat it, so how can we jump up and down about fair chase and then sink our teeth into that hamburger or chicken sandwich see my point
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

bigbuck,

IMO, if your habitat is good and you see very few deer then you are hunting them too hard and should not be shooting any Does!
Personally I would protect the good breeding bucks and shoot every Buck older than 1 1/2 that does not have an eight point rack or better!

I know that many folks want to protect the scrawny bucks because they might get bigger, but I never met a Farmer that slaughtered his Prize Bull because the runt of the litter MIGHT grow up to be as good as the old man!!!

edge.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

I will never hunt a high fence hunt. I don't have much of a problem of it except maybe one issue: When the high fence animals break out of there fence and breed with wild animals. This happened in Idaho last year, I believe. It was around 200 animals and it was very close to the rut. Now we have domestic genes mixing with very strong genes in southern idaho. This is the only thing that bothers me. I realize that this is a rare event but it can be devastating. I can definitely see people with disabilities hunting high fence and this type of hunting really gives them the opportunity which I believe is totally legit. To me the challenge and prize outside the fence is what does it for me. "Knowing" that I'm going to get a shot every time doesn't really get my adrenaline going.