Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

High Fence Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

High Fence Hunting

I didn't want to turn Kirby's thread into something it shouldn't be so I thought I'd start a new thread on this subject. My screen name should give you a pretty good idea of what I do and the criticism of this type of hunting really bothers me. Hunters and gun owners in general seem to think highly of peoples rights so why would these same people question a land owners right to do what he wants within legal limits with his livestock. Sure, there can be questions aboout disease and impeded natural migration but for the most part this is private property with activities completely with in legal boundries. As a buffalo producer, I can see the next step after a domestic elk and deer hunting ban being some type of control being put on my "majestic" animals. Every time I hear somebody throw a coment about what they think about this type of hunting it bothers me because it is no different to me than the comments Jim Zumbo made.
Lance
Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

IMO, I see no problem with it, but I don't think that animals shot on preserves belong in the B&C or Pope & Young record books.

IMO right or wrong is in the eye of the beholder. After all, some folks decry woodchuck hunting since I don't keep the meat.....but I doubt that they will fork over their money to pay for an animal that breaks its leg in one of there holes!

edge.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

edge,
I don't believe they should be included in a record book with free range animals but there is nothing wrong with recognizing them as confined.
Lance
Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

I took a quick look at your website.......85,000 acres...not very confined to me. But only thing I didnt care for was the "Guaranteed shot" How do you guarantee a shot?

By all means I agree with you on doing what you wish its your land! Also I see no problem with placing an animal killed in 85,000 acres placed in the books....confined? b&C p&y WHATS THE POINT? are people enjoying the tradition of hunting or keepin score? How can people judge the abilities of a hunter from lets say south Alabama to a hunter from northern Wisconsin based on the size animals he's taken? I dont care for the books!

Buffalo with a bow that would be an awsome hunt!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalorancher View Post
edge,
I don't believe they should be included in a record book with free range animals but there is nothing wrong with recognizing them as confined.
Lance

100% agree. Whatever folks want to set up as records is their business.

Ol Hole in the Horns was found next to a railroad track. Should they be in a record book, sure. Just not in with others taken by hunters during "fair chase". I am not making judgements, just keeping with the rules as made the the folks that wrote them. There are "pick up" categories, and probably a whole bunch that I have never heard of.

edge.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Nyles,
I wrestled with the "guaranteed shot" thing but buffalo hunts are tough to book so your always trying something to make it work. I worry about my deer hunters coming for too many years in a row and they do start to wear on you, but buffalo hunters usually only shoot one so its a different deal. Most buffalo ranches are actually working ranches, albeit with varying levels of profitability, and these big bulls wear out their welcome and hunting is the best way to get rid of them. Some are fairly easy to get but we get mean ones too. I've had three close calls with clients that weren't Africa close but pretty close. Right now we have about 65 big bulls that are due for retirement but loading and shipping that many is a real nightmare. You can see why somebody telling us we have to beat the hell out of man and beast to get rid of them because "hunting" behind a fence isn't right.
Lance
Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

I am with edge on this one. "Sporting" is in the eye of the beholder. THere is also numerous degrees of high-fence hunting. On one extreme there is the not so recent court case with a TV celebrity hunting deer in a fence so small they could not frame it out while filming the deer. On the other end; there is a fence all the way across Australia. With ocean on one side and a fence on the other it could be considered a high fence hunt, but NO ONE would consider hunting down under as un-sporting. I am cosidering hunting buffalo in the future and since I'm probably not lucky enough to get a tag in the Montana lotery or head to Utah for their hunt I will be hunting ranch buffalo. I have seen, and watched on TV, these hunts go from a cow shoot in a corral to a free range hunt on huge ranches.

We could go on all day with what is and isn't sporting, I am glad that I don't have to address rules on wheather animals belong in the record books. I agree that animals shot in small enclosures should be excluded, but I have heard that some of the ranches in Africa are fenced. HUGE, but fenced. Where do you draw the line?