Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hi, I'm new here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 PM

Re: Hi, I\'m new here

[ QUOTE ]
Yep! Now that is a Big critter Steve you must have made a great brain stem shot with a 218 bee to take him down!!LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniper,

Naw, not the .218, you silly [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Actually, it was a well-placed 180-grain Hornady Interlocked SPBT out of a .30-'06 at 51 yards. He was coming into me, kinda angled, and I placed the shot about halfway up and precisely at the shoulder/neck crease. The next thing I saw was four feet in the air....unmoving feet. He was stone, cold dead.

My PH, Kjeld Kruger, had never seen an eland killed bang-flop dead, so we perfomed an autopsy on the critter when we got it back to the farm's butchery. The Interlocked had penetrated the eland's THICH hide, hit precisely in the middle of one of the vertabrae (between the shoulder blades) and hit the spinal cord dead center. Totally beginner's luck.

The tenderloins were fabulous.

Steve
Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome aboard Steve!
Recognize your handle from the Varmint Hunter magazines and your promoting of the 280AI.
Always good to have more knowledge in the quest for long range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mach V,

Thanks for the welcome, my friend. Yeah, I was at Varmint Hunter for twelve years. I never missed an issue and had about seventy (or so) feature articles published there.

Yup, the .280 Ackley rocks and I've killed more than a few big game animals with it. I love that cartridge and am totally delighted that it's being SAAMIed and going commercial.

Actually, I'm not really a long range shooter. Might seem long to some folks, but I just shoot within my ability...and absolutely no further.

The last big game Karen and I shot were antelope in Montana. Karen killed a great buck at 306 yards, I shot an equal buck at 302 and I also shot two large dry does at 326 and 359. Four antelope and four empty cases. That's the way it should be.

Oh, for the goats, we used an experimental gain-twist barrel (11"-to-9") chambered for .25-'06 with a whole bunch of RL-22 and 100-grain Ballistics. MV is 3,500 fps and it bang-flops the heck out of prairie goats.

Thanks again for the welcome,

Steve
Old 09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Howdy Steve,

Welcome aboard [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] sorry , couldn't resist . Look forward to some good stories from your end as the days go by .

There ar e some of the best guys around on this site . Actually all of them cepting Roy in Idaho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] he's a mess ( A good mess though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )

Jim B.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Howdy Steve,

Welcome aboard [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] sorry , couldn't resist . Look forward to some good stories from your end as the days go by .

There ar e some of the best guys around on this site . Actually all of them cepting Roy in Idaho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] he's a mess ( A good mess though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )

Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jim,

Thanks for the welcome; I'll be sure to watch out for Roy from Idaho. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm looking forward to sharing hunting experiences and cold, snowy horse trails.

Just for kicks and giggles, he is the photo of a fair goat shot in Montana a couple of years back.

Steve

Old 09-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

SteveTimm,

Welcome aboard.

Yeh, we're a friendly bunch.

I've been thinking about that progressive twist idea. Though my tho'ts were more towards the line guide for a casting reel that is kind of threaded both ways to even out the line on the spool.

Incorporate that technology into a rifle barrel bore and you could have a bullet rotating 'both' ways. Otta be super stable and take the earth's rotation out of the eq'n.

I know for a fact jimm would rebarrel everything he had. with them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Good shooting! Nice looking speed goat as well!Do you experiment with many wild cats? If so what kind and how many?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:21 AM
Gold Member

Welcome to the board.
From your statement, "if the atmosphere is friendly," looks like you found a new home. Great bunch of folks from beginners to experts.

I am somewhere in the middle, just know enough to keep me in trouble with the wife, and game in the freezer.

WEll got to run looing forward to some of those stories.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"