Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hi Brent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 03:42 AM

Hi Brent

Welcome back - you must be snow bound again after a bust summer / hunting season?
What news do you have from the last 6 months?
APB
Old 11-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hi Brent

It's about time he got his Alaskan butt back to we can catch up on what he's been up to. Good to hear that he is still out there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys. Good to be back, even though it's just for a week, still far better than the two days I had off for Labor day weekend!

I'll move my post from the other thread over here, probably post a few pix here later when I get some more time.

Snow has came and went (melted off mostly), but I'm sure there's more a comin.

Headed off on a wheeler ride in just a few.

Gotta run for now. Looks like I got LOTS of reading to catch up on here!

Reposted:

Ian,

You weren't too far away there in Kotzebue. I've been up in Nome since July 18 building a 3940 foot long breakwater, which creates their new harbor. Heading back this Wednesday after a well needed week off. Probably be there until Christmas, maybe even into new years a bit.

I shot a pretty good vidio clip of my friend taking a 36" bull moose that we drove up on the last day season was open, just before dark. Most all the moose right there around Nome were easily in the 60" + range, Mike's was an exception but we weren't being picky on the last day. It's all registration hunting there, and when the quota is met, which happens in just a week or two, that's it. You're allowed 5 Caribou per day though, but the giant herd still is not close enough to Nome as of yet. My room mate managed to find a loner though, also a real nice wolf.

My brother came back home for Labor day weekend the night before I did, the next morning he made it out there a few hours before I did and took a nice 53" bull in the area we generally hunt. I saw two big bulls together just before I left my mountain lookout spot. We went after them, but my wife got the Polaris Ranger high centered after one side fell into a small creek channel in the swamp. Pretty nasty stuff to go ahead alone on my 6x6 even though we were getting close, so I stopped and helped her out of it, but made enough noise winching etc that the bulls had moved off when I made it to where they were.

What made it worse is, I knew the two bulls went in a small strip of heavy timber just 200 yards accross this next small wet swamp, but I just really didn't have the hour or two I needed to pursue them. The whole family was waiting on me a 1/4 mile back and I most definitely needed the daylight to pick our way back accross the swamps, which were full of brush hidden holes and deep, mostly hidden streams. Just a day hunt, and nobody was dressed warm enough to wait for sunrise the next morning to get back out. Still, we all had a great time, and I made my flight back to Nome the next day... barely.

Lots of work with not much free time this season.

[ 11-26-2004: Message edited by: Brent Moffitt ]
Old 11-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

Glad you're back. Missed your posts!

Frank D