Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Helping get experience.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Helping get experience.

While not a post about shooting,but a related subject. Aka steel targets and mainly cutting them. My two boys ages 23 and 17 are both members of our local voluteer FD and being as we live in a fairly quiet area the FD does not get a lot of action, so I had this piece of 5/8 plate steel that would just nicely make three 12 x 12 squares if I could drag it someplace to have it cut. Enter the fire dept. The 23 year old leads one of the junior fire fighter groups as well as being a basic firefighter and a fulltime paid EMT,so I ask if he wants to have a drill useing the K-12 demo saw. He checks with the chief and next thing I know is six new firemen are in my driveway receiving instructions and taking turns useing a piece of equipment they had never used before. I filled the tank on the saw a couple times,got two new targets and 6 people now know how to use a K-12. I call that a good evening..
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Helping get experience.

As a former V.F.F. I can tell you, you made thier day! You can only wach so many videos, or practice stabilizing a dummy, or wash trucks and go over S.O.P.'s for so long before you become ''less than intreagued'' with the whole thing. Taking a hydrant, and using the tools, field exercises are the absolute best thing you can do to keep on your toes. Not to mention, the Chief can sleep better knowing his boys are capable of handeling equipment that they may be required to use someday. And it saved you some effort, while doing the Dept. and community a favor. Great job!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

WTG! I have to admit I had no clue what a K-12 saw is. In my effort to find out, I ran into this ...

YouTube - Leon Schuster - Rookie fireman prank

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Wow. For the first few seconds I was buyin into the whole thing. Setting up the green guy's. But that thought ended quiclky. And they never used the hot saw!Funny tho.

Hey FEENIX, did that dog of yours ever wind up catchin that ''Karelian Bear'' that scratched up your tree in your yard?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"