Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Help me pick a caliber and chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Help me pick a caliber and chassis

WEll first of all Hello guys, Long time lurker first time poster. I have found so much good info here I figured this is where I would post my question.

I have an older Remington 700 ADL that my father gave me. it is a 7mm rem mag, Kicks like a mule, worst trigger ever lol.

I am going to build a magnum caliber or similar long range gun for general long range shooting and hunting. I have a 6.5 CM for the stuff 1000 and in. but Have had a hankering for a .338 Lapua as of late. Knowing I cannot build that off of this action I have started looking into other calibers. one being the .338 edge or even just the 300WM.

There are so many choices out there I am looking for you all opinions so it will help me have good info as I search through the interwebs.

BTW I do reload but would like to keep even my reloads to $1.00 or less for plinking and maybe $1.50 or so for good hunting rounds.

Lastly I will probably top this with either a Vortex PST FFP 6-24 or a Vortex Razor.
Everything else is pretty open.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: Help me pick a caliber and chassis

The 7mm rem mag is a fine long range cartridge for out to and over 1000 yards. But if you dont want a 7mm then the 300 WM should serve you nicely.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 AM

OK I have about decided to keep it in 7mm but the fact I am going to re-barrel anyways has me thinking I should go ahead and make the swap to .300WM I always have had a soft spot for 7mm rem mag though. Ugh tough choices.

Now onto the chassis, The Whiskey 3 is pretty nice, But Also Pretty Pricey, The Manners Mini Chassis as well. Would the manners be considerably lighter?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs chops View Post
OK I have about decided to keep it in 7mm but the fact I am going to re-barrel anyways has me thinking I should go ahead and make the swap to .300WM I always have had a soft spot for 7mm rem mag though. Ugh tough choices.

Now onto the chassis, The Whiskey 3 is pretty nice, But Also Pretty Pricey, The Manners Mini Chassis as well. Would the manners be considerably lighter?
If you are shooting and hunting @ ranges extending beyond 1,000 yards, look into the 7mm STW. It's case is bigger than the .300 WinMag, and you can propel 180gr Bergers to over 3,000 fps. And the trajectory is insanely flat. It's better on barrel life than the 7mm RUM is.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.