Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

HELP!! ejector marks on brass???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

HELP!! ejector marks on brass???

Yesterday I went out and fired a box of factory 150 gr. winchester ammo through my .30-06 and when I was inspecting the brass after I tumbled it over night, every one has an ejector mark on it.

This brass was supposed to replace some that I thought I had the load too hot in my workups, but now I am wondering if there is something funky happening with the rifle. I took the action and barrel off of the stock and did a thorough cleaning 170 rounds ago. The barrell gets cleaned after every trip to shoot, whether I shoot one shot or 50. The 20 reloads that had the ejector marks were shot with some fowling in the barrell, about 15 rounds of an old load. I had just finished cleaning the action/barrell when I left to go shoot the factory loads.

Does anyone have an idea as to what would cause this????????
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: HELP!! ejector marks on brass???

I get ejector marks on some of my factory and handloads too. I believe it a combination of tight(er) chamber (custom rifles), short(er) throats and the sensitivity to look for ejector marks.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Is this something I should worry about in a remington barrell, the primers aren't showing any pressure signs and I am only getting .0003 " expansion around the body of the case after it has been fired
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

There are some brands of brass that seem to be softer than others. We get very poor reloading life with Federal in the .308 Win. for some reason. Primer pockets get loose with only one or two loadings vs a dozen or more with Winchesters. You may have a batch of cases that are slightly soft, the pressures may be somewhat higher in that particular run of ammo, you may have had some oil in the chamber which caused more rearward thrust - just a few considerations. If the primer pockets are tight I would not be concerned - not likely an issue with your rifle so much as an issue with that lot of ammo.

If the pockets are enlarged the pressure was significantly high and I would toss the brass, not worth taking a chance of blowing a primer.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Is that expansion at the base (web area) or on the body??

Is this a new rifle?

What brand of brass?

Have you shot these over a chronograph by any chance?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Silver Member

the high point of expansion is in the web area. It starts to be measurable about half way down the body and increases to the web. The expansion is usually only there after the first firing of the brass in this rifle. I use a full length resizing die set to push the shoulder on the brass back about .002" every time I reload. The bullet is seated to be about .075 away from the rifling of the barrel (which I found by taking a bullet and blackening it with soot from a match then putting it in a once fired case that had been pressed against the table just enough to hold the bullet in place. I then chambered the dummy round and let the rifling seat the bullet. I seated it .002" deaper using the press and die and resutted the bullet then chambered it again, no sut rubbed off and I use this length as the point of contact to be safe) The .075 above is right in the middle between the recommended COL and the contact point.
I have been shooting this rifle for 10 years now and fired several thousand rounds through it, mostly reloads. I use only winchester brass because it is affordable and consistant enough for me. I do not have a chrono, so no I haven't shot over one. This weekend I am going home to see my parents and might be able to borrow my uncle's if the speed is important info. for the reloads.

I thought the ejector marks were a sign of high pressure in my reloads and was hard on the brass. I got the factory loads specifically for the brass, but they had the ejector marks as well after the initial firing. The comment about it maybe being oil in the chamber makes some sense to me because of the cleaning only an hour or so before the factory loads were fired.

I am really appreciative of the help you are all giving me.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Writers Guild

Sasquatch, extractor marks do usually indicate higher pressures but that depends on the brass vs the pressure. I run pressures in my LC brass that most commercial brass will not tolerate.

Is the bolt lift easy? Is there any problems with extraction - sticky or bits of brass shaving off? how many reloads before the pockets get loose? 6 reloads seems to be a min. measure of pressure for that brass lot. Did you change lots of ANY of your components?

You said that you have shot thousands of rds down that barrel. Consider that the bore is much rougher now so you have to adjust your loads to accomodate that change.

Back off a few grains and work up. Find the best accuracy where the brass doesn't show issues that concern you.

Jerry