Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Help buying a rifle ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Help buying a rifle ??

Joe Boyd brings up a good point.

Anyone I have dealt with has been a member of boards I frequent for several years and are in good standing. There were no problems in communications and the rifle/action was exactly as described.

I felt confident in dealing with these individuals. Bottom line if you feel uneasy WALK AWAY!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Just a note. Hurrican Katrina has UPS and USPS slowed way down So if you are in the Mississippi Valley you may have some shipping delays.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

I see no reason to give a complete SN to someone who has not bought the gun. Why do they need it?

Now if they have bought it, no need not to give the SN to them.

Lot to be said from dealing with reputable guys that are known on several boards and have a reliable reputation.

As someone said you might be dealing with a newbie. Think I would pay with postal money order. Lot easier to get postal inspector involved with fraud than other agencies if you think there is a chance.

BH
Old 09-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

I bought my Tikka from an individual via Gunsamerica.com classified ad from an individual in NC (I'm from VA). I asked for as much information he could give me including, his address, phone number and the serial numbers for the Tikka (Tikka had problems with bad steel in the barrels for certain serial numbers--exploding rifles). I wasn't going to send him my $500 without knowing I could locate him and take him to small claims court if he took the money and ran. But in talking to the individual by phone I had all my questions answered and had no lingering feelings this guy wasn't legit. If I had I wouldn't have done the deal. I had him send the the rest of his information to my local shoop (FFL) before I sent him the check and it was a done deal. No problems. Like Mr.Boyd says if it doesn't feel right don't do the deal. There will always be another good deal down the road.

Just my 2Cents.