Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hello - I'm Len's son and hunting partner Andy Backus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Field Editor

Hello - I'm Len's son and hunting partner Andy Backus

My name is Andy Backus and I am the son of LRH's founder Len Backus. I'm 36 years old, married and just had my second daughter a couple weeks ago (I'm tired ).

I began rifle and bow hunting for whitetail deer in our home state of Wisconsin with my Dad 18 years ago. Since then, we've never missed hunting the Wisconsin Deer Rifle season together and have had quite a bit of success. My longest whitetail buck kill so far was about 500 yards.

I've been lucky to be my Dad's hunting partner on many out of state hunts as well. I shot a 60" Alaska bull moose with my 340 Weatherby near the Wrangle Mountains. I shot a 6x6 Montana bull elk with my Dad's 7mm Dakota. I've also shot mule deer in New Mexico and Wyoming. One of our most epic hunts together was for Dall sheep in Alaska. Neither of us were able to find a legal ram, but it's still the favorite hunting trip I've been on. We both had hopes for a long range kill!

Some of my younger hunting buddies and I put together a fun do-it-yourself canoe-in rifle hunt for whitetails in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota 2 years ago. We had to break ice on the way out.

I'm just starting planning for a do-it-yourself bow hunt for elk in Colorado in a couple years when I think my wife will let me (she doesn't know yet).

I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you members and also to contributing some of my hunting stories.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hello - I'm Len's son and hunting partner Andy Backus

Welcome Andy, I look forward to hearing more about your hunts!

Jeff
Old 05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

You're tired!? What about her?

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Welcome Andy! I think we met at the deer and turkey expo a few weeks ago.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Cool a legacy! (publisher and field editor/father and son and huntin partners)You guys run a great site. Congrats on your new baby! She certainly has big shoes to fill . Did you get her her first L/R rifle yet? Or a bow maybe?
Ive got number 3 on the way.......... oh boy do I remember being tired......and I get to do it again. I cant wait tho, it makes it all worth it when they look at daddy and recognise theyre safe when your near, and smile. I look forward to sharing some hunting stories with you.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 05-10-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Welcome aboard Andy!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing about you and your dad's future hunts! Your dad set up a really great site here with a lot of really knowledgable people. Glad to have ya.

Oliver