Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Heavy gun. Need a good sling/carry strap for Western hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Heavy gun. Need a good sling/carry strap for Western hunting

The outlaw sling is the way to go for sure...I love mine, it works for hvy rifles.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM

The backpack sling worked. You have to play with it a bit and adjust it just right. Last year on my hunt in CO. I scaled up and down a 25 wall of mt above tree line to get to elk below. Was able to do it every day and hiked an average of 8 miles with my 12lb rifle on my back. It worked well. It got tangled
in my hydro bladder pack a few time but I adjusted it for it and no problems.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Bronze Member

I use a safari sling that I got from Cabela's years ago. Works great and I love it. Comfortable to carry all day. I also like the ability to quick draw with in when hunting in the trees. The only down side to it is that if you use a back pack it doesnt work as well, but if you use a fanny pack or a vest like I do this is the way to go. You can check them out at Cabela's under the shooting section.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM

The backpack sling is the same. With a backpack it's hard to take the gun off you back without it hanging up on something. The gun scabbard is the only way if you need a pack but it moves my turrets on my Viper PST so you have to reset em before a shot