Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Heavy gun. Need a good sling/carry strap for Western hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Heavy gun. Need a good sling/carry strap for Western hunting

I am putting together my first long range rifle. I had Savage custom build a long action 7mag with a bull barrel, accu stock, accu trigger, model 10.style bolt.....

Anyway the gun is really heavy and the barrel is long and front heavy. It doesn't like regular slings to well. The barrel makes it tough to carry. I'm sure there are guys on here with similar guns. How do you tote them. I live in Texas so no problems going to blinds and sitting but this guns purpose will be for hunting in the mountains and hiking around alot. I'm new on here. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Heavy gun. Need a good sling/carry strap for Western hunting

Get a Ebelrlestock pack with the rifle "bucket"

Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

I carry my long rifle in a large backpack with the barrel sticking out the top as well as the necassary survival stuff.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM

Man Eberalstock makes some cool stuff. That mini me pack is perfect. I've been hunting here in TX with a Tikka T3 in 243. The gun is awesome super accurate and light as a feather. Have taken some huge axis deer with it.

The new Savage weighs at least double..I have been looking at scopes and was going to get a vortex razor 5x20x but the scope is really heavy. Might go with the viper PST instead. Now to decided on FFP or SFP.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM
PUBLISHER

Double shoulder sling sold right here at the LRH Gear Shop.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 03-21-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Looks great...I'll try it...Im still getting that Eberalstock pack as well..they both look great...In the mean time I'll be hitting the weights to get in shape...lol
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

I know this is an old thread but I am curious what you guys use as a rifle sling for a top heavy rifle? I only put my rifle in my pack 10 percent of the time so the rest of the time it is slung on my shoulder and I have my pack on my back. My butler sling doesn't cut it with my new rifle. What other options are there or should I just make my own?