Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hearing protection -what do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Hearing protection -what do you use?

Which model(s) do you guys prefer?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

I use the Remington R2000 electronic muffs. They're slim, sound quality is good (not great), and batteries last quite a long time. For sound quality Pro-Ears get my vote.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

I have lost all of my high frequency hearing and cannot hear song birds singing. About five years ago i started wearing the Walker game ears using my custom fitted ear plugs for my more expensive hearing aids. Funny thing is a set of $2,000 digital frequency tuned custom fitted hearing aids had no loud noise shutoff circuit. The Walker game ears have a crude frequency tuning system and a crude loud noise shut off. Directional ability is limited but witha person like me I the option is to hear totally nothing or to be confused about where the noise came from. They are affected mby feedback from brimmed hats and from long hair and rain.

At the rifle range I have been wearing regular shooting muffs but that causes a problem in hearing range commands. I was up at Cabelas yesterday and they had the Peltor 6S about 60% off and the 7S about 30% off. The 7S is heavier but seemed to snug down over the ears better. I also wear glasses which complicates life also. I got the 7S.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Gold Member

A-tec moderator.
Pete
Old 06-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Roy and buffalobob ,

The point of not being able to tell the direction of the sound is a good point.
I'll decide soon and report on the performance of my choice.Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

Mike,
I had a calling rifle built in .22 Middlested last season with a brake and it's great.Allows me to see bullet impact,which is pretty nice in high brush for comfirming hits.I use a foam plug in the ear nearest the muzzle,in my case, shooting right handed,that would be my left ear,and a another foam in the right,lightly inserted or a Radian so I can hear a bit to pick up distant howling,barking or whatever.At the very least, one in the left ear.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Writers Guild

Used to be made by Howard Leight and called the Leightning but I think the company has changed. however, the ear muffs are still manf.

They are black in colour very comfortable and cheap. They also have the highest rating of 31dB. I am sure that they are available through any safety gear supply store.

Most electronic earmuffs are in the 20 to 29dB range. The difference is enormous due to the logorithimic scale used for decible readings. 3dB doubles the performance.

I shoot many braked rifles and can 'hear' a substantial difference between my 31dB muffs and even the top of the line aircraft muffs rated at 28/29dB.

As added protection, I use ear plugs too. These are rated at 33dB. Not sure how they get such a high rating considering they are much louder then the muffs when used alone. Maybe its the skull thing.

Anyways, with both plugs and muffs, shooting these braked cannons under our covered and walled range is comfy.

I use a set of Peltor 6's while birding. I hate not having a sense of noise direction but since there is little time to put on muffs when one flushes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

One thing to remember is keep your muffs clean. Through use and environment, the foam plugs up reducing their effectiveness. You are not likely to notice the slow change but it will affect your hearing. If there are any cracks or rips in the ear cups, time for new ones.

I make it a rule to throw away my muffs every two or three seasons even though they are always boxed for storage. My hearing is just a bit too important not to spend $20 every couple of years.

I also make it a rule to never still hunt with a braked rifle. Just one shot from a bad angle and you will go 'huh' forever...not my idea of fun.

Jerry