Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Hearing protection -what do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Hearing protection -what do you use?

I did a search hearing+protection and came up w/ nothing.

I read the opinions on muzzlebrakes and it's pretty cut and dried expierienced shooters like brakes.
I use simple ear plugs and don't have a brake on any of my guns.I know braked guns are very loud at the range.
I can't figure out what to buy for coyote calling -you need to be able to hear a coyote coming and muffs are hot when shooting praire dogs so what to buy?
The little behind the ears jobs like walkers game ear look good but seem expensive.
When i rebarrel my 25-06 w/a brake i'll need something plus a sendero II is in my near future.Thanks Mike
Old 06-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hearing protection -what do you use?

What??? Could you repeat that!!!! Louder!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I use electronic Radians. Shooting 75 to 100 grains of powder behind 250 grain bullets. Radians work great.

Never heard a yote coming in unless they bark [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] then I know I'm busted [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

The radians are nice... especially for the price. if youve got a superloudenboomer, you can do like me and just put some plugs under the electronics, and turn the volume up a little.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
SPONSOR

I'll second both Roy and Abinok. I use the Radians and they work great.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Roy you're funny YEAH FUNNY I SAID [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Do you guys wear them while hunting?

Roy our coyotes come in running on leaves not sand/cactus needles [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].Mike
Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Yes I wear them while hunting. You can hear really well but I have trouble determining the direction of the sound.

Shooting that much powder with the brake is very close to shooting a good hot 44 Mag revolver load or worse yet a Dan Wesson 22 Hornet w/that brake or whatever it is on the end of the barrel. Bottom line is <font color="red">PAIN </font> without ear protection.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

I have been using the electronic muffs from Dillon for several years now. Mostly they get used at the range or when I'm shooting USPSA/IPSC style matches and work well even when I'm shooting my 300WM w/ a brake.
I have started to use them for duck hunting as well. They are a little bulky if you are wearing a hooded jacket, but otherwise very comfortable, even when it is hot out.

The only thing that I have had to do to them is replace the ear pads - they are made to be replaced, so no big deal there.