Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Headed to Wisconsin for Gun Deer Season

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Headed to Wisconsin for Gun Deer Season

It's time for my regularly scheduled high speed trip up to Wisconsin for the gun deer season.

I'm gonna leave down here on Wednesday the 14th and make landfall in Eau Claire on Thursday the 15th. I'll do a little scouting to make sure I can get to my stand site opening morning the then off to the Hide-A-While for a few cheeseburgers and a beer, catch up on the latest gossip then await Saturday morning.

Anyone else headed up that way???
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

a few cheeseburgers and a beer,

if i were going i'd probably have a few beers and a cheeseburger!

watch out for the fake plywood copy's of moose the locals put out up there. my buddy was completely fooled by the first one he saw a few years ago.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

My daughter will be leaving Eau Claire on Friday to go NE of Antigo for our hunt. She's going to school there. If she couldn't have gotten a ride I told her to find a place to hunt there and I would go there to hunt. They had snow there on Friday morning but warmer weather and rain removed all traces of it.
At least if we hunted there I could shoot coyotes too. We are north of hwy. 64 so they are off limits.
There's a nice 10 pointer that had his pic taken on my bil's trail cam. He has 40 acres surrounded by state land.

Mike
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going to hunt near Blair the first day then up and down the Chippewa River area between Pepin/Nelson and Caryville for a few days. We also generally get up north of LadySmith over near Winter for a day or two.

I travel up to visit friends and suffer family, I give the deer away as I don't need to haul any back here, we have plenty of deer too.

I hunt public or "low tax" open to public areas mostly, there are plenty of deer to go around most time.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

So what contraption that you call a gun, are you going to use this year?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Aha.. let me dig around a bit!!

I have several new toys to give a try.. I have a lopped off Remington Classic in 300 Savage that needs some time in the woods, its my newest something different rifle... it has a ~18" barrel and a light 3x9 Leupold. (I suspect that it if performs poorly it'll be scrapped for the donor action.)

I'm also dragging along my Colt 1911 45ACP specifically modified for the Wisconsin hinterland (and the WI DNR 5.5" barrel requirements)... it now sports a Kart 6" barrel and a special open-on-the bottom holster to accomodate that extra inch of bare barrel.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
PUBLISHER

Welcome back to Wisconsin.

I need to warn you, though. The Cheeseheads are wearing even bigger cheese hats because Brett Favre has taken us to 8-1 for the season.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors