Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Headed to Wisconsin for deer season.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Headed to Wisconsin for deer season.

Congrats to Andy and you.

I tried to get to my stand on NSP but a deer was in it! I didn't want to shoot the critter unless it was a big buck or a doe and it managed to have it's head stuck into a pine row far enough to be safe...

Today I'm off to Nine Mile Island.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

This is completely unfair - you two guys are having all the fun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 12:22 PM
PUBLISHER

It takes a lot of guts to complain about fairness when you hunt as much as Ian does! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Ian

Like Len says "Lots of guts.."

Good to hear from you, got any new rifles or ammo to dep shoot with??

Status Report:

Wisconsin DNR reports three (3) less deer on Nine Mile island. Randy shot a nice buck and I came across two does. Bad part was that my does were on the non-boat side of the island so a little over 900 yards of dragging on leaves and dirt. I shot mine with "The Monkey Blaster" and I can now tell you for certain the a 375 H&H is plenty of cartridge for Wisconsin Whitetail. The deer came as a set, a doe and her yearling fawn and Randy had mentioned it'd be a long drag if I shot one (or two). I was in a small scrub oak in a cobbled-up "permanent" stand, a 12" piece of 2x8 across a few large limbs and the "crotch" of two other branches for a seat. The does came in from behind so I needed to shoot with the rifle between the two large branches and of course they soon pushed the limits of the range allowed by the branches and my follow the deer swing came to "all stop" when the rifle whacked against the right side upright limb.... I elected to shoot the doe at that point and managed to get her in the liver even when limited in rifle movement... bad part (real bad) was that the bipod and tree came together real quick like on recoil and my left middle finger thought that same spot was safe!!! The fawn ran closer to me and I recalled Randy's statement about a long drag but the need to tag out so I elected to shoot her, about a 20 yard shot with her facing directly away from me. About an hour after we got the deer out to the boat Randy and I had burned a hole into my fingernail to let the blood squirt out and I experienced the second most pleasurable feeling I can recall...

We made a few little drives to each other during the day then made our evening stand. Randy had a buck show up at about 4:25 and it met it's maker in short order... another drag (155# buck) of about 400 yards and we called it a day.

I have managed to get a few little video clips that I'll upload to my web-space when I get back.

Well... I still have nine good fingers and more bullets so I'm headed out today to lay-waste to some more deer... stop at three today they're telling me.... no dragging though..
Old 11-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't have thought a person would complain about dragging the remains of a fawn. I can't imagine that there was more than a few ounces of it left in one chunk or did you gather it up and put the pieces in a bucket. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,
I have a nasty mental image of you holding up your left middle finger with its glowing red-tip showing people your big "boo-boo" (as our two year old grand-daughter would call it). Ouch - Harris bipods can do ugly things to fingers. You going to leave any deer alive in Wisconsin? I can send down some more ammo if you start to get low [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Got the hots for one of those Weatherbys, maybe a boomer. Arranged a 2006 heavy barrel in the mighty .308 Win. for some evaluations. Way toooo many guns, not enough time.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Ian

These should help your mental image.

These are a few video clips, these are large files and may take a while to load.

Randy and I looking over the first doe on NineMile Island. Includes shots of Dave's smashed finger!!

www.longrangehunter.com/Video/2005ninemile-doefawn.avi

Randy and I at the boat landing. Caution graphic dead deer video.

www.longrangehunter.com/Video/2005hurlsboatlanding.avi

Randy and his buck.

www.longrangehunter.com/Video/2005ninemilebuck.avi

You might just "right click" these and save them locally for viewing.