Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Headed to Wisconsin for deer season.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Headed to Wisconsin for deer season.

I'm off on another high-speed road trip... I'll be in/near Eau Claire, WI tomorrow night (17 Nov 2005), putz around on Friday and kill a big 'ol buck Saturday morning (maybe).

I'm going to be hunting near the Tiffany Bottoms opening morning. (Very near where the Chippewa River helps out the Mississippi River.)

I'll leave up there on Wednesday morning (23 Nov 2005) for a lightning trip back to Maryland and then on to North Carolia for training beginning noon Friday (25 Nov 2005) for 3 days.

Looks like I'll only have time for a few quick hunting shots, a couple of gutting jobs then a handful of cheese curds washed down with some beer and that'll fill up the 4 days in this years deer season for me.

Wish the deer some luck 'cuz I'm headed out hunt'n!!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Headed to Wisconsin for deer season.

Dave:

Sounds like fun. The deer and the curds don't stand a chance. Keep us posted on the results. Good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

You better hope the Maryland highway patrol don't frequent this forum because they have a very low tolerance for Thunder on Thunder Road ( or maybe it is just me they don't like).

North Carolina is a different story. Just get her up to redline and let the good times roll.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Dave, I've been in the Tiffiny bottoms one year just checkin it out. Talked to some locals and they say some BIG racked bucks have come off that public land. Good luck with your hunt. You said near the Tif. bottoms, so I infer your on some private near by?

Just to give you a weather report; right know 1 hour east of EC, it's 16 degrees and 30 mph. winds. Here we have about 3-4 inches of a very cruchy snow. Started as rain and turned over, very wet snow now frozen. I havent seen the news tonight for Saturdays weather but I would expect low teens in the AM. High might top 35 degrees. Tonight its supposed to drop to 8 degrees.

Even in the wind the deer were really pounding the ag fields this evening. I seen over 25 on my drive home from work.

Another plus with the wet rain freezing snow, all the marsh grass in my area has been broken down and is laying flat. For the first time in about 4 years this will give them alot less areas to hide, and ought to make for a very active opening day, as those bruisers search for concealment.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

I've hunted the Tiffany Bottoms before, on the Nelson side of the river between the RR tracks and river. My son shot his first buck in there, a nice 10, a little light on mass so about a 130 B&C class.

This time I'm headed across the river onto the side of Fivemile Bluff hoping to catch some big bucks headed out of the public into the private on top. I'll have about a 400 to 500 yard max shot across the ravine onto the next ridge. I'd imagine they'll be sneaking along on the sunny side or maybe I'll catch a lurker sleeping on the steep ridge. I don't believe many of the locals enjoy humping the hills and prefer to stay to the high or low flats... I'll drag (maybe ride) that critter on the snow down to the river, load up the waiting boat and motor up to Ella.

I'm taking my McMillan A5 Rem 700 300 WSM with the 6 x 24 x 50 IOR "Hubble" (just an image of the scope...not my rifle of course)

as a scope. I'll take along "The Monkey Blaster" as a spare rifle and of course I'll need my trusty (worn and rusted) 870 Wingmaster for Dunn County hunting.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

First day is done, I only saw one deer and it's hanging in the garage. My friend, Randy, made a short drive to me once we'd finished our morning stand and she ws the unlucky winner of event.

The bluffs were some hard walking for a couple of fat middle-aged fella but the real nice part is that we had about 3000 acres of public hunting to ourselves. (Randy saw one other hunter in the morning and I saw one in the afternoon). When we pulled the boat out we saw a nice (dead) buck at the landing, he'd score about 135-140 easily I'd say, 9 point, big body (had a hole in it somewhere though).

Today we're hunting flat land near Rock Falls, NSP (Norther States Power) land I believe, just near Meridean. Pines of various ages, rel easy hunt and plenty of folks moving to keep the deer traveling for a stand hunter.

I talked with by buddy Ron Nemetchek (Alberta) about his season, there was a hunter with him just then getting pictured with his ~ 199 B&C buck (particulars later I guess).

It's a balmy 34 degrees this morning and pretty warm yesterday too... no snow left here.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:55 AM
PUBLISHER

The snow was gone by noon today here in Waushara County, Wisconsin.

Yesterday my son hunted with me on my perennial favorite stand. I spotted for him while he used my Chris Matthews rifle to take his first long range buck...at 453 yards. That was fun for me. Last December Andy spotted for me in Wyoming when I took my mulie at 670 yards.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors