Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

He said not to shoot his steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

He said not to shoot his steel

Friend that owns the land where we (my shooting/hunting buddy and I) shoot short range locally put up some new steel from 100-500 yards. He asked us not to shoot his steel until he at least had a chance to get off a few rounds. He felt the 500 yard gong was kind of a joke as he didn't think he or his friend would ever hit it much.

We didn't shoot it, the day he asked us not to. Then.........he went camping and we went shooting.;) He'd even put a kind of smiley face on the 500 yard gong. Smaller craters are with 270 AM and 140 grain Accubonds. The through holes are from my 7mm AM with 200 grain Wildcats. I'd been doing some load testing at 300 and had 2 sighters left. Gun wasn't sighted in but I kinda knew where it was at 300 and where it would be close at 500. First one made lower hole. Raised up accordingly and put second hole in it.

Sure hope he's not too unhappy with ol smiley when he sees him.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

ss7mm, the 7mm Allen Mag is impressive to say the least. It went through that steel like a knife through warm butter.

Wildcat
Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

He said don't shoot it and what aya do!! go an put holes right through it LOL He aint gonna be impressed with you LOL

Whats you welding like?????

I gotta say tho' the 7mm AM sure is impressive, I wonder what its performance AKA punching holes through steel at longer distances???

Whilst he's away perhaps is now a good time to try ;-)
Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

He said don't shoot it and what aya do!! go an put holes right through it LOL He aint gonna be impressed with you LOL

Whats you welding like?????

I gotta say tho' the 7mm AM sure is impressive, I wonder what its performance AKA punching holes through steel at longer distances is like???

Whilst he's away perhaps is now a good time to try ;-)
Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

Funny story. Good shooting too.

Maybe you should have your buddy shoot the gong with your 7mmAM befor he goes down range.

JD338
Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

That was an incredibly thoughtful and considerate thing to do. Now every time he's shooting at that gong and he gets no WHACK he can simply claim he put that one right through the hole. He'll never miss again, very thoughtful indeed.

Chris
Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

We were just trying to be helpful and finish the face. We gave him kind of a moustache and I also gave him a right nostril. Maybe a little touchup on the moustache and a left nostril next time and he'll be complete.

About a year ago my buddy and I were doing some shooting at 300 and he had just put up the new gong at 300. I'd holed it once and said I wouldn't shoot it again that close but my buddy said to shoot it in line with where the chains are attached and see if it would swing different. I did.......and it did........about 15' back and up the hill behind it. Ripped both chains right off because it couldn't swing like it does on a normal, lower hit.;) I do know that wasn't a good idea because we had to pack it out and get it fixed, which isn't that big a deal. We just dropped it off at their shop and they welded it up and put it back out there for us.

We can back up to 750 yards but can't for now as some workers are in there and they get a little worried with 200 grain Wildcats flying around.:eek: